Tenori-On for those seeking a serious step sequencer

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Lengai

Tenori-On for those seeking a serious step sequencer

Post by Lengai » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:47 pm

That is cool.

I think I would rather get the new Monome though. I don't really want the sounds, just the controller.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:09 pm

They are both nice. I'm not sure what the Monome is going for. The Tenori-On goes for about $500-$600 I believe. I think they're being sold in the UK. It is limited in it's sampling power, but the sequencer is very nice, and the lights would be sweet for a gig if you had a mount (maybe plexiglass) so you could use it where the audience could see it.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:10 pm

I do love the back-lit design and how it animates as you play with it. Definitely cool.

The monome costs vary with the number of buttons/pads:

* two fifty six: $1400
* one twenty eight: $800
* sixty four: $450

http://monome.org/
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

brain_11

Post by brain_11 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:17 am

Tenori-On is about $1200. Bloody expensive for a not very sophisticated sequencer. Read the not very positive opinions on Matrixsynth.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/search?q=tenori

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:53 am

Is it easy to get MIDI out of a Menome?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am

I am not completely sure if it has a midi out or not. It does have a USB out so you can use it to control many things and eventually output it as midi if you have midi out from your computer and a program like Ableton Live.

This guy presented his Monome for the last synth club meeting. They didn't have any to sell him, so he bought the kit and assembled it himself. He said that he found a bunch of fun stuff on the forums that use the Monome. He showed us a program that took the mic input of his laptop and gave a visual EQ display across the buttons. He also showed how you could use it with Ableton Live as a real time interactive sequencer that ran in tandem with the program. A row of buttons lit up vertically to show the cursor position scrolling. He had another program called flip that would take a sample and cut it into 8 equal chunks and allow you to manipulate each slice like a recycle loop in Reason.

nathan

Post by nathan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:33 pm

i like the monom better too. the tenori on is a bit visually overloaded.
i like minimal thing. but i dont like computers, so the sampling from a flashcard in the tenori-on is quite nice. you could do a whole interesting gig with only that one thing.
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:25 pm

nathan wrote:i like the monom better too. the tenori on is a bit visually overloaded.
i like minimal thing. but i dont like computers, so the sampling from a flashcard in the tenori-on is quite nice. you could do a whole interesting gig with only that one thing.
It also has a 256 preset sound bank from the Yamaha Motif to go with the sampling.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 am

There is a video on the Sonicstate site where the guy from Yamaha says it does NOT have sounds from the Motif, only specifically designed sounds.

Also, the Tenori-on can play back samples loaded from the memory card, but it has no provision to sample from it's own hardware. The single MIDI connector is for both IN and OUT using a splitter cable.

Except for the price, it looks pretty interesting. I just wonder if there is much bass response. All the demos seem to use soft trebly sounds, nothing aggressive or filtered.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:47 am

How about this one?

www.infectionmusic.co.uk

Take a look at the Zeit sequencer, both rack and desktop, it seems to be a very interesting machine..

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:26 pm

Funny you mention the Zeit! I have been drooling over that for a while now (except the pricetag).

The monome 256 would be able to control 16 sequences with 16 steps each all at once. The Tenori-on would do 8 I believe. The zeit has 8 as well, but brings more control per sequence which is probably better. But software could/or maybe already has been made to make the monome control more. I think there are different modes on the Monome that you can get into to make it control more on the fly.

I like the look of the Zeit more, I am a sucker for knobs I guess.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:35 pm

If anyone is into DIY, check out http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html

The site is pretty confusing; it took me a while to work out how to navigate it, but there are some pretty cool/useful looking projects there. Link above points to the sequencer. It seems to work in a similar way to the other units mentioned on this thread, and may even be more versatile with software/hardware updates.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:08 pm

ucaps=awesome! There are a lot of great options out there, and they are all coming up here 1 by 1. I personally can only soldier things like speaker terminals or minor synth part replacements. If I made any of the ucaps stuff, it would most likely never turn on. I am trying to take on more advanced projects, so maybe someday I will try it.

Any more?