Moogerfooger Synthesizer (the missing VCA/Env)

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
toryjames

Moogerfooger Synthesizer (the missing VCA/Env)

Post by toryjames » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:07 pm

I know the desire for a Moogerfooger VCA and Envelope Generator has been mentioned a number of times on this forum, now that we have the MF107 VCO. Last night I remembered that a Lag Processor could be used as a rudimentary A/R Env. Generator. For those without an Env. module you might think about making do with the Lag Processor in your CP251.
Keyboard CV>MF107 Freq In.
Keyboard Gate>CP251 Lag Processor>MF101 Freq In and/or MF102 (acting as a VCA).
Not sure if this had been mentioned previously, but wanted to post in hopes it might help someone out.

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:48 am

Boss -

Good ideas, but...

If I understand correctly, your suggestions assume a source of Keyboard CV and Gate triggers like you would get from a Voyager and VX-351. If you have this particluar combination, then you already have two EG's at your disposal (Filter and Volume).

The CP-251 Lag Processor could be used as a rudimentary EG, but the Envelope Follower in the 101 LPF could also be used (you'd need to input an audio signal in order to make it work, of course, and it wouldn't deliver real 'snappy' envelopes). The 102 Ring Mod would provide a serviceable VCA (this application is described in the 'Lord of the Ring Mod' article).

Personally, I'd like to see a Moogerfooger EG/VCA combo with an overdrive circuit like the one in the Little Phatty. This could be Moog's take on a psuedo OverDrive/Envelope pedal, but with the kind of flexibility and CV control offered in other Moogerfoogers.

I'd buy one (maybe two). :D

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:41 am

Well, my concern was not for people who have a Voyager. I was thinking that people who have a non-modular analog synthesizer with CV/Gate outputs (Roland SH-101, Arp Odyssey, Novation Bass Station Rack...) or a Midi/CV converter (Kenton, Paia...) might want to use their MFs as a small modular synth. It seems many people on this forum have modular equipment, but those who don't might want to consider the Lag as Env. Generator option.

RadioLab

If Only - Overdrive

Post by RadioLab » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 pm

Oh how kool it 'will be' when Moog comes out with their next Mooger, which may be sooner than later since conspicuous by its absence, the MF106 is MIA for some, and I am certain, very sound reason. hhhmmmm...makes you wonder, y'know?!!:shock:

...but back to my request or Biggest & bestest MF Wish at hand. Yea,if I had my way, this next unit, be it a major ADSR envelope with cv to midi, a Sequencer or some interplanetary stellar based Ribbon Controller, it will DEFINITELY need to have that same OVERDRIVE Control on its face so us folks of well lets say, more modest means, who cant go out and get every little chochkey that Moog dreams up even when many of us die-hards already own the best of the best - For me IMmostHO that is, owning both the Mini model D and the Voy, (a Signature at that ) an Odyssey and a Juno106,...I just couldn't bring myself to unload another pile of $$ just to add yet another great synth to an already great collection even if it does have the unmatched crowning feature of the Overdrive Control that I've only just heard live for the second time and've decided that its already in the 'must have it someway-somehow' column. Wow...what a feature, Seriously!! and now such a necessary control to bring everything to a rumbling boil, ummm-mmm... and remember thats only if you ask me. I know what is missing in my setup, just a measured dose of mayhem at only the climactic positions of two different peices that I am working on.

With all of the moogers taking their place as a modular (and it does rock the joint )attached to a looper (so to stop all the live music, walk off-stage with just the Moogers looping in a cascading filter frenzy of ring mod, sizzle and chaos. the OD circuit would just be Killer... gotta love it. Well-anyway, for what its worth, theres my little 'if only'

Any ideas?? ...huh?? ...like where to get an Overdrive like Phatty in the meantime. anybody?? Well, thanks for letting me vent a ramble, dreaming of that perfect note, since somebody before me gave me the inspiration to write about the quest for the most ominous feature that we never knew we needed but consequently, all wish we had.
THE MOOG OVERDRIVE ...period. 8)