dull muddy feedback from MF-104Z...damaged? Normal?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
bentropy

dull muddy feedback from MF-104Z...damaged? Normal?

Post by bentropy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi,
I need some reassurance. I've gotten a 104z off ebay. It arrived non-functioning, I think it was the internal power supply circuit, plus the power adapter didn't work. Moog fixed these, really generously, and Amos was very friendly.

When I finally got to use it, I found that the echoes seemed dull or muddy, especially with longer delay times, less so with shorter, and this difference is noticeable. The high frequencies seem really filtered or lost. Is this normal? Its quite extreme, not a subtle loss, at least at longer delay times. It seems duller than my Roland 501 tape delay. I'm feeling disappointed, especially if its still damaged, but if it's normal I'll work with it.

I know I should post some files so people can hear, and I will after I get back from a trip.

best and thanks in advance
Bentropy

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:06 pm

I think it's normal - much less clear than tape delay - the difference between my MF-104 and RE-201 Space Echo is night and day. It's not a bad thing though! Sometimes the MF-104 gives me exactly what I need.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 pm

The loss of high frequencies as the delay time increases seems to be a natural characteristic of "bucket brigade" delays (non tape based analog delays). I also was a bit suprised when I initially bought my MF104Z, that the sound was so mild/muffled. As a stand alone unit, I actually prefer the sound of my EHX Deluxe Memory Man (the echoes retain much more high frequency content resulting in a brighter sound) but the CV Ins and Outs make the Moogerfooger worth the high price. It sounds like your pedal is acting the way it should, you might just be a bit underwhelmed with the sound of a $600-700 pedal. Try hooking up the CV Inputs to an envelope follower, LFO, step sequencer, or routing the delay send/return to a pitch or frequency shifter... and you might find a growing attachment to your investment. Creative applications are where it truly excels. Good Luck.

bentropy

Post by bentropy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:33 am

Cool, thanks friends. I'll learn to use it, and enjoy the bucket brigades pouring muddy mellowness. The patchability is really fun and cool.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:20 am

bosshog wrote:The loss of high frequencies as the delay time increases seems to be a natural characteristic of "bucket brigade" delays (non tape based analog delays). I also was a bit suprised when I initially bought my MF104Z, that the sound was so mild/muffled. As a stand alone unit, I actually prefer the sound of my EHX Deluxe Memory Man (the echoes retain much more high frequency content resulting in a brighter sound) but the CV Ins and Outs make the Moogerfooger worth the high price. It sounds like your pedal is acting the way it should, you might just be a bit underwhelmed with the sound of a $600-700 pedal. Try hooking up the CV Inputs to an envelope follower, LFO, step sequencer, or routing the delay send/return to a pitch or frequency shifter... and you might find a growing attachment to your investment. Creative applications are where it truly excels. Good Luck.
+1 only I really don't prefer the clearer sound of the EH over the grainy/lo-fi sound of the Moog. Just depends which one I'm in the mood for. They are both great delay pedals and I believe everyone should own both of them. Envelope out to Delay Time in is great fun :P