Who also wants a Moogerfooger Oscillator?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!

Would you like a Moogerfooger oscillator?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 16

dvdborn

Who also wants a Moogerfooger Oscillator?

Post by dvdborn » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:55 am

I would like to see a genuine Moog oscillator in a Moogerfooger package. That way it'll be possible to create a true modular Moogerfooger synthesizer. Why not use the Voyager oscillator design or the 921 design?

I understand that the Moogerfooger form factor is aimed towards guitarists so in order that they'll have any use for the pedal a Pitch to CV function has to be included.

Am I the only one who is waiting for something like this?

David
Akai VX600: http://kunst.phlimburg.be/vx600

Crash

Re: Who also wants a Moogerfooger Oscillator?

Post by Crash » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:50 am

I already have a genuine Moog oscillator. Actually I have 3, and they're all ganged together inside of another piece of Moog gear called the Voyager.

Moogerfoogers aren't really supposed to serve as sound sources. They provide modulation to an existing sound. Granted I have 'played' the carrier (MF-102) and the resonance (MF-101) using an elaborate array of cables, theremin, ribbon controler, etc with very limited results.

There already are several LFO options (CP-251, MF-102, MF-103, VX-351) if you need something to serve as an oscillating control voltage.

As a sound source, an oscillator pedal wouldn't be very useful at all. There would have to be a mixer and some sort of envelope to control volume. Then you would need pitch control. As a standalone unit, it wouldn't have very much application. All these components are already all supplied in the Voyager.

A pitch to CV circuit would be a very complex analogue circuit (I'm actually not quite sure how that would work). A far more accurate one would have to be digital, but really what would be the point of that?

I guess what I'm saying is that the demand really wouldn't be there. Why would I buy a bunch of effects pedals and try to make a few meager sounds when I could spend an equal (or less!) amount of money to get a Voyager and have all of that and then some.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:37 pm

I would love to have somthing called the Moogerfooger Oscillator Field.

It would be 4 oscillators with variable waveforms that would be controled by the Voyager. Each one would be triggered according to seprate midi channels. All to turn your Voayger into a Polyphonic Voyager!

parallel98

Post by parallel98 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:28 pm

The CP-251's LFO functions fine as an oscillator, espeically when you modulate it w/other CVs. I use it w/my Voyager, and it will track the voltage of the Voyager's keyboard CV output, so you can use it right along w/the Voyager's other Osc's.

Geoff

Rakuza

Oscillator/Keyboard

Post by Rakuza » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:02 pm

I would love for there to be an affordable Moog oscillator. It's hard for me to imagine a playable one on the same scale as a Moogerfooger though. I would want it to have some sort of comfortable interface as far as controlling the pitch.

A small, very simple Keyboard that could stand alone or interface with the Moogerfoogers would be ideal.

danimoog

Post by danimoog » Wed May 19, 2004 6:45 am

I'd like to understand better about this, and it's not the first time that it is discussed: how would be possible create a synth with the moogerfoogers. Would it be too expensive and not worth it, and so focus on the voyager, or could it be a nice alternative?
lost in the fooger... need a Voyager!

hichakhok

Post by hichakhok » Wed May 19, 2004 6:17 pm

why a moog oscillator? Just get a cheap Roland sh101for $200, there is your oscillator, it will sound great through the pedals. You can even cv mod it if your handy with a soldering iron. If you want Cv get a little analogu systems monosynth for a few hundred, far cheaper than a voyager. (not in the same league admittedly)

BrianK

Post by BrianK » Sun May 30, 2004 6:16 am

It would be great to have one. If it was simple, maybe with an octave-follower to add low growl... some CV control - interesting. Especially if it had some cool ways to sweep the pitch - a joystick (CV!) or pressure control that could be used for the other pedals too.

DBER

DVCO

Post by DBER » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:28 pm

"It would be 4 oscillators with variable waveforms that would be controled by the Voyager"--sir_dss

I read this on another post somewhere on this forum, then did some research on it. Moog used to make something called the DVCO. It was a rack mountable case carrying two oscillators to expand the mini. The two oscillators had all of the same controls as the three on the mini, and the second could also act as an LFO. I believe it also works with the voyager, and you have to run it through the ext. input. They go for a lot of money nowadays, but I believe modusonics (moogce.com) still makes them for fairly cheep. This is somewhat similar to what sir_dss was saying, minus the polyphony.

Electrong

Post by Electrong » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:22 am

I think it only makes sense to have a Moogerfooger Oscillator pedal. It could be similar(only better, of course) to an Electroharmonix Guitar micro Synthesizer pedal. There could be an analog/digital converter in it for use with various instruments. I don't think it needs any more than the same oscillator outlay that a minimoog has, 3 oscillators with 1 or two of them capable of Sub-sonic frequency LFO.. They could both be used as controllers and be controlled by another instrument, and have CV inputs. They could have MIDI inputs. There could be a simple Amplifier envelope, if necessary, and a simple Filter envelope, if necessary, onboard. This may not be so intricate that it could be bypassed with another filter or Moogerfooger pedal, or used in conjunction with one.

The oscillator pedal could tie in nicely to the existing Moogerfooger pedals. The whole idea of Moogerfoogers is to have stand-alone modules that could be put together to work as part of a modular system, so I don't see why the oscillator bank couldn't be another Moogerfooger pedal. If it works right this would probably boost sales of all the Moogerfooger pedals, and would definitely generate a great deal of publicity in addition to the present website, so yeah, it might be of slightly different use than of a simple effects pedal, but, let's face it--these pedals are not simple effects pedals, they're synth modules that interface easily with guitars, basses, and other electric instruments that play through a 1/4" jack.They should interface with each other, too. I honestly think Bob Moog may have intended this to be a natural result all along, sort-of going in through the back door and creating a complete new system of analog modular synthesizer. Name MF-110 Osc or something.

I could see there being a keyboard/ribbon/wheel controller as well.

hichakhok

Post by hichakhok » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:53 am

"but, let's face it--these pedals are not simple effects pedals, they're synth modules that interface easily with guitars, basses, and other electric instruments that play through a 1/4" jack.They should interface with each other, too."

i was under the impression these pedals did interface with each other.
There is no reason for a moog pedal osc. Use a voyager with the cv breakout box. Everything you asked for is already currently available. Why would Moog build things twice? A pitch to cv pedal is another matter. Personally what makes the moogerfooger pedals unique is that they are only fx pedlas. It was a brilliant idea to create fx modular pedals like this

pelican

Post by pelican » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:57 pm

he would do it to increase the polyphony. I would definitely like an oscillator moogerfooger, but it would be great to have different waveforms than the voyager- say sine wave and noise, etc...

I would also like to see an arpeggiator, a vocoder, and a pitch to cv converter