MF-107 Freq Box photo/deets

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Jebus0000

MF-107 Freq Box photo/deets

Post by Jebus0000 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:34 pm

beans may as well be spilled here as well:

MF-107 –FreqBox

It’s here--the newest addition to the Moogerfooger line of analog effects. The MF-107 FreqBox will blow you away! it’s unlike anything else out there. The FreqBox does not actually modify the audio input signal. Inside the FreqBox is a Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) which is modulated by the sound source input—an Audio Modulated VCO! The result is an amazing array of effects that were once only possible with a complex modular synth setup—everything from fuzz-like distortion to what product development engineer Steve Dunnington calls “cataclysmic timbral morphing” A true “freak box”!

Here are some specs:

Accepts instrument level and line level inputs
Frequency and waveform controls in the VCO section
VCO can be frequency modulated by the audio signal
Envelope follower and mix controls for even greater sonic enhancement
Housed in the super-durable, classic Moogerfooger enclosure

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Hey

Spot the difference:

Well done CtrlShft, very close. Are they gonna give you one?

markom89

Post by markom89 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:53 pm

Part of me wants to believe this sooooo badly, but, a larger part of me just can't believe it... Check out this link. They're claiming its $339, and I guess they have it in stock already, but, how's that possible? I e-maied them and am waiting on a reply to see what the deal is with the stock, and etc...

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:37 pm

latigid on wrote:Hey

Spot the difference:

Well done CtrlShft, very close. Are they gonna give you one?
lol, i wish :D

i'll be buying a couple for sure though! can't wait til the nittygritty on the back panel comes out. I wanna know if it's controllable via seq/cv-midi controllers etc!
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:40 am

whoops, looks like imageshack nailed the old image shut. here's my mockup thing if anyone wants to see it.

www.ctrlshft.com

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:45 am

markom89 wrote:Part of me wants to believe this sooooo badly, but, a larger part of me just can't believe it... Check out this link. They're claiming its $339, and I guess they have it in stock already, but, how's that possible? I e-maied them and am waiting on a reply to see what the deal is with the stock, and etc...
I'm pretty sure all the dealers got the inside info this morning via email. If it's on a site already it would be pre-orders.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:19 am

Assuming it was not a sanctioned leak...kinda lame that a dealer can't keep it in their pants for a week.

It looks like a great product though. Hopefully it will be shipping right away after NAMM.

jamirokid

Post by jamirokid » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:26 am

So does thing have a carrier input as well as an audio input? Could you use it as a vocoder? Whatever...I WANT ONE!

Josh

username

Post by username » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:36 pm

It wasnt supposed to be let out yet. I posted pics of it early yesterday and the admin. took it down. They thought I was one of their dealers and sent me a message asking me why I did it. I thought it was already released though because I saw it on two other forums. I love the sounds from that thing and have been waiting to hear it since I went to the factory and was told there would be a new fooger for namm.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:38 pm

username wrote:It wasnt supposed to be let out yet. I posted pics of it early yesterday and the admin. took it down. They thought I was one of their dealers and sent me a message asking me why I did it. I thought it was already released though because I saw it on two other forums. I love the sounds from that thing and have been waiting to hear it since I went to the factory and was told there would be a new fooger for namm.
i think in the grand scheme of things it has done nothing but create massive hype for the product. sure this was a NAMM exclusive, but eh, not enough is leaked to really do much other than make a thousand-odd people pine for one :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:15 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
username wrote:It wasnt supposed to be let out yet. I posted pics of it early yesterday and the admin. took it down. They thought I was one of their dealers and sent me a message asking me why I did it. I thought it was already released though because I saw it on two other forums. I love the sounds from that thing and have been waiting to hear it since I went to the factory and was told there would be a new fooger for namm.
i think in the grand scheme of things it has done nothing but create massive hype for the product. sure this was a NAMM exclusive, but eh, not enough is leaked to really do much other than make a thousand-odd people pine for one :)
really it's just adding to the hype because most people (myself included) don't really understand what it is or how it works.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I can get very similiar results to what I think the freqbox is doing using my .com modular synth. I patch some signal in to the oscillator 1v/ octave pitch control and mix that with the signal, and get some pretty freaky stuff :)
Electronic Violinist here

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:40 pm

matt the fiddler wrote:I can get very similiar results to what I think the freqbox is doing using my .com modular synth. I patch some signal in to the oscillator 1v/ octave pitch control and mix that with the signal, and get some pretty freaky stuff :)
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a Sherman Filter Bank, which has FM and AM inputs. Plus, buy the end of the year I will also have a .com modular(I've only just made my 3rd payment on the entry system)

But still, that dark and warm tone thats automatic with Moog. We shall see :wink:

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:38 pm

I get it using a combo of

multiples to split what I need ..
the 8 channel mixer to mix the 2 signals [dont' get the 4 channel mixer.. the 8 channel ROCKSs] the square wave is probably my favorite wave to modulate....

one oscillator to be "freq-boxed" apart, sometimes one to feed into it. [or someting like ele guitar or violin]

an envelope generator is nice to add defination....
the instrument interface is nice to get an envelope/ gate/ trigger from an existing instrument, and bring it to the correct voltage.

Of corse i run it through my 101 then to spice it up.

I have thought about programming some midi sequences [into the midi to CV generator] to play on top of, both in unison and counterpoint to intersect the violin lead line... but a nice pitch to CV convertor could be nice for this..

sometimes i also will modulate the VCOs that I have with various signals, which also get that nice ringy-mody sound... they are just.... different than pitch modulation of a LFO.
Electronic Violinist here

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm

matt the fiddler wrote:I can get very similiar results to what I think the freqbox is doing using my .com modular synth. I patch some signal in to the oscillator 1v/ octave pitch control and mix that with the signal, and get some pretty freaky stuff :)
can you explain better how you are doing that? I'd love to try it!
I have Q118 (instrument interface) & a bunch of Q106's. Do I need anything else?
Do you just patch the Q118 Amplified signal to the 1v/oct input and also the mixer?