Fooger Virgin (ie: I put what where?)

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
earsmack

Fooger Virgin (ie: I put what where?)

Post by earsmack » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:54 pm

I've been reading more and more about these foogers lately cruising this board and with the "New at NAMM" hype am trying to learn as much as I can about them to figure out which one I might want, etc. I would hook it up to my Voyager primarily.

So...given that...a few questions...from someone looking for some dirt and grime to be added to my sound. I like the sound of the new teaser fooger - pretty nice.

1) If you could only buy one - which one would it be? MF-102 (Ring Mod) seems to be popular. I read "Lord of the RingMod" hence my next questions...

2) How important is it really to have a VX-351 (CV Expander)?

3) How important is it really to have a CP-251 (Control Processor)?

Thanks in advance!

GregAE

Re: Fooger Virgin (ie: I put what where?)

Post by GregAE » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:01 pm

zbq wrote:I've been reading more and more about these foogers lately cruising this board and with the "New at NAMM" hype am trying to learn as much as I can about them to figure out which one I might want, etc. I would hook it up to my Voyager primarily.

So...given that...a few questions...from someone looking for some dirt and grime to be added to my sound. I like the sound of the new teaser fooger - pretty nice.

1) If you could only buy one - which one would it be? MF-102 (Ring Mod) seems to be popular. I read "Lord of the RingMod" hence my next questions...

2) How important is it really to have a VX-351 (CV Expander)?

3) How important is it really to have a CP-251 (Control Processor)?

Thanks in advance!
Hi zbq,

Call me biased (I wrote the 'Lord of the Ring Mod' article), but the MF-102 is probably the most useful of all the 'Foogers with the Voyager. Ring Modulation is a classic analog synth technique for generating an entire set of tones that you just can't get any other way, and Moog's implementation in the MF-102 make it an ideal Voyager companion.

Since you read 'LOTRM', you already know that you can use the MF-102 as an extra oscillator if you have a VX-351 Expander, and you can make the '102 track perfectly. For me, this alone is enough to recommend the Expander, but there are other reasons. For example, you can create some interesting routings back into the Voyager with it, such as making the Voyager envelopes exponential, and warping the waveshape of the LFO. To see how to do this, check out these VX-351 configuration maps on MoogSpace:

http://www.moogmusic.com/members/?secti ... 0id%20DESC

So, if you can afford it, get the Ring Mod and the VX-351. Once you have these, you'll probably want to pick up a CP-251, too. :-)

But for adding a bit of dirt and grime, you might want to consider a placing tube preamp or overdrive device in the Voyager's Mix/Out loop. Take a look at the article called 'Kicking It Up A Notch' for more info on this. Find it here:

http://www.moogmusic.com/members/?secti ... 0id%20DESC

Hope this helps!

- Greg

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks Greg. I'll look at that additional information.

Suburban Bather

Re: Fooger Virgin (ie: I put what where?)

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:40 pm

zbq wrote: looking for some dirt and grime to be added to my sound. I like the sound of the new teaser fooger - pretty nice.
put this with your Voyager, WEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Image

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:35 pm

Well, I went on a bit of a spree this past month...having sold an old synth that I didn't use provided me with a trinity of effects devices...first the ZVex Fuzz Factory which sounds simply amazing with the Voyager. Then the EH Deluxe Memory Man which (as others have said) gives a wonderful buttery tone to the Moog - just a touch of chorus really goes a long way out of this thing. And now...on order...arriving any day...The MF-102. This is it - I swear! :-) Can't wait for the MF-102 - been reading up on it as stated above and am looking forward to hooking it up.

In thinking about it, I'm thinking of running the MF-102 before the FF with the DMM last in the chain. So...Voyager->MF102->FF->DMM...this seems the most sensible. Any thoughts on swapping the order of the MF102 and the FF? Obviously I'll experiment but I'm wondering what experiences other folks have.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:22 pm

Can I ask what synth you sold? More out of curiosity than anything else. Re: virgin, obviously experimentation is the key ;) . Many people will say the more complicated (e.g. from a distortion pedal) the signal going into the ring mod, the harsher sounding the result. This could be good or bad depending on your tastes. The general idea with effects, paraphrasing OysterRock, is that you add harmonics first (ring mod, distortion), then remove harmonics (filters e.g. MF-101, phasers, MuRF) then put time based effects last (flanger/chorus, delay, reverb). You could also put these in the insert (after the mixer and before the filters) of the Voyager. Grab some patch leads and a spare afternoon!!

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:28 pm

I use a Noise Swash in my rig. It is crazy.

My original thaught was the Mooger Ring Mod. It is great!

Lately, I have been using it set on LOW frequencies. It is CRAZY!!

I love the Moog RM.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:41 pm

>> what synth I sold

I sold a Virus Indigo C - I really dug that synth but ended up buying a Virus TI. The new 2.0 TI OS has really helped it grow up and the fact that it can pretty much play any Virus C patch with very little if any differences (maybe a tad warmer sounding IMO) I decided that the C was ripe for the selling. I try to buy gear these days that I will *never* sell. Gear that has longevity. The C was only sold because the TI could replace it more or less 100%. I was sad to see it go but it justified buying some pedals to run the Voyager through and I couldn't be happier with the tradeoff.

>> paraphrasing OysterRock

Very good. That's what I figured and it makes good sense.

>> analoghaze

Glad to hear I seem to be making a good decision. It's no secret that the RM is a very popular fooger. What's even better is the fact that it is one of the less expensive ones and with Moog's $30 rebate that sealed the deal. No better time than February :-)

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:12 pm

zbq wrote:>> what synth I sold

I sold a Virus Indigo C - I really dug that synth but ended up buying a Virus TI. The new 2.0 TI OS has really helped it grow up and the fact that it can pretty much play any Virus C patch with very little if any differences (maybe a tad warmer sounding IMO) I decided that the C was ripe for the selling. I try to buy gear these days that I will *never* sell. Gear that has longevity. The C was only sold because the TI could replace it more or less 100%. I was sad to see it go but it justified buying some pedals to run the Voyager through and I couldn't be happier with the tradeoff.

>> analoghaze

Glad to hear I seem to be making a good decision. It's no secret that the RM is a very popular fooger. What's even better is the fact that it is one of the less expensive ones and with Moog's $30 rebate that sealed the deal. No better time than February :-)
What $30 rebate on the 102?
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:06 am

DeFrag wrote:
zbq wrote:>> what synth I sold

>> analoghaze

What $30 rebate on the 102?
Yeah!! Check in http://www.moogmusic.com/news.php?cat_id=157&news=1
I´m in Argentina, so I can take this offer. But If U can, hurry up.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:07 am

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

musicalhair

Post by musicalhair » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:02 pm

Wow, thanks for point out the rebate! I just got the Murf and that will come in handy.

To the topic of this thread, I can't speak for the Voyager but as a guitarist and bassist and find of my moogers that the Low Pass is amazingly useful and verstaile. I have the Phaser, Ring Mod, Low Pass, the CP 251 and now the Murf.

I'm sure there are big differences between synth applications and guitar applications, but the low pass is a really great pedal. The CP is pretty amazing with all the pedals.

I haven't fooled around enough with the murf yet to really "rank" it. I still have to plug it in with the other moogers and the CP to test it out fully.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:00 pm

Just got the RM Fooger...only a simple connection for now...here is a top-shot of "The Moog Station"...

I decided to run the Voyager into the FF first, then the RM. I like the way the RM adds a slight amount of sparkle (at certain settings) overtop of a really fuzzed out patch. It took me a little while to get acustomed to the RM. When I first played a few notes it was kinda whacked-out sounding and I was like "How the hell am I gonna use this?" but then I tamed it out a little and played some different sounds through it. I especially like what it can do with very subtle settings on a sustained note. You can add alot of life into a drone this way.

Anyway...back to experimenting...

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:27 am

how do I post a pic like that?

(very beatuiful BTW) 8)

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:42 am

analoghaze wrote:how do I post a pic like that?

(very beatuiful BTW) 8)
Thanks. You can see the entire studio at http://earsmack.com/.

To post the pic, I uploaded it (the pic) to my web page and then used the "img" tag capability of the forum to "embed" it.