Multi-expression controller one moogerfooger

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
black.decibel.art

Multi-expression controller one moogerfooger

Post by black.decibel.art » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:06 am

Hi,
I am curios has anyone tried controlling multiple expressions on a single moogerfooger at the same time with a dual expression pedal (lehle dual, Boss EV-30) or something like Multi-expression controller? Would that work and can you achieve some interesting results or benefits? Would it require a specific pedal, I assume you cannot use Y cable to split the expression signal but it has to be at least dual out (correct me if I am wrong).

Another question is it possible to cross-patch the expression I/O on moogerfooger, eg connect Envolope Out with a Mix In using a patch cable on the same Lowpass filter. Just thinking outside of the box is there another creative way to use this pedal? Thanks

FeelinDank

Re: Multi-expression controller one moogerfooger

Post by FeelinDank » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:03 am

Haven’t used expression pedals on any of the Moogerfoogers yet, but have set up the CV out from my Subsequent37 CV to send the same signal from all 4 CV outputs. Also have utilized many different Moogerfoogers effecting one Moogerfooger. I have connected 2 or 3 (of that same signal) to one ‘fooger from Subs.37cv (I think I did it with the MF-103 and MF-107). Every Moogerfooger’s “Frequency” CV input (or whatever their equivalent is) for me is a go-to. The MF-103 is interesting when “Sweep” and “Resonance” have the same CV signal: phaser tracks frequency while resonance increases higher up (also per note tracking; MF-101 should be similar too …I don’t think the MF-101 “Sine feedback” tracks “nicely” when resonance is cranked tho). I believe you are right with the “don’t do a Y-cable” …I think we’ve both read that thread haha.

Definitely possible. I just got my MF-101, but I’ve utilized the “Envelope Out” on the MF-107 to things within that same MF-107. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go nuts with the “Mix” input on your Moogerfoogers …audio rate modulation of the “Mix” input seems like lite-weight ring modulation on some Moogerfoogers.

black.decibel.art

Post by black.decibel.art » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, sounds interesting I will have to do some further experiments.
On that note seems that EV-30 only 2x 10k, so I've checked for Moog products it would have to be 50k-100k to work properly. I'll have to dig around for a dual expression with 2x 50k. I have a feeling that would work then in the end if I find one for a reasonable price.

Oh found this it's very handy shows resistance for all common expression pedals.
http://expressionpedals.com/list-of-expression-pedals

black.decibel.art

Post by black.decibel.art » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:34 am

Actually turns out that it's not a good idea to mix expression pedals TRS with CV inputs TS. Apparently it can make a short so no signal flows. So it seems it's one or the other but .

I've tried my Doepfer Dark Energy I with MF-101 and it seems to work well when sending LFO or Envelope via CV to MF101. Some interesting textures can be achieved and some nice "vocoder" style tones. When you keep Resonance around 8 it's almost like you get another oscillator/layer in your tone which is handy.

I haven't tried MF's CV OUT yet in the manual says it's independent ("The amplitude of the ENV OUT control signal is independent of the setting of the AMOUNT control or pedal."). If I manage to work out a good setting I will post or if anyone else has any idea how best to use it let me know.

But question is if there is a way to control MF only via CV and use it's self-oscillation to send it as Audio out to Doepfer or any synt's External Audio In? I guess maybe 101 is not ideal for this but one of the other self-oscillating mf's might work.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:49 pm

black.decibel.art wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:34 am
I haven't tried MF's CV OUT yet in the manual says it's independent ("The amplitude of the ENV OUT control signal is independent of the setting of the AMOUNT control or pedal."). If I manage to work out a good setting I will post or if anyone else has any idea how best to use it let me know.
I think it's actually good to be independant: you can ctrl the pedal with the knobs, and still access it's full CV out regardless. An attenuator or any other CV manipulator will give you options.