Comparison of the MF-101 to the classic 904A module ?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
THM

Comparison of the MF-101 to the classic 904A module ?

Post by THM » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:00 am

How to compare the MF-101 to the classic 904A module - soundwise (not counting the drive/EG) ?
I was planning to look for a 904A for my Synthesizers.com (aka DotCom) modular system, but first I'd liked to hear a few opinions from preferably owners of both 904A module(s) and an MF-101. Or from whoever compared these two.
Thanks in advance.
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:56 am

I don't have a 904A nor have I ever used one, but I can tell tht they will not sound exactly the same. It all depends on how picky you are, they maye sound very similar, but not the same. They use very different components, discrete vs. integrated. To some people the difference it very important, its not so important to others (like me :wink:)

Different components = different sound.

THM

Post by THM » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:37 am

Thanks for the reply - I know it won't be exactly the same filter; I owned several classic Mini's (Model D) in the past and when I first played a Voyager I noticed very quickly that the sound was good but different. But the classic MOOG sound was still recognizable. Now I'm asking myself if this would be the same case with the 904A and MF-101 filters only. I mean: next to each other they'll obviously sound different, but are they still very resembling ?
Anybody ?
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:55 am

i'd say the mf 101 would definitely have an advantage being new, as far as a "which one to get" talk goes

it's self contained and isn't gonna die on you anytime soon

no idea what the difference in sound would be like (the only moog filter i've used is in the LP, they really are that much better than other filters)

what about this for a filter question, assuming that they do sound different, will the mf101 sound like what the 904A sounds like now, in 40 years time? and if so, what will the 904A sound like then?

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:55 am

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:35 am

godzilla wrote:i'd say the mf 101 would definitely have an advantage being new, as far as a "which one to get" talk goes
There is also the option of buying the 904 filter module newly manufactured from Moog Custom Engineering/Modusonics. Although they are quite expensive (I think around $700, plus power supply, etc), they are reportedly exact reproductions (or as exact as is possible, I would guess).

Otherwise, it seems like it would be nearly impossible to find/buy a vintage module (especially on it's own). I have seen some specialty web sites that offer Moog Modular Cabinets in various arrays for sale, but I've never seen any for sale by the module. Very rarely a module or two will pop up on e-bay and sell for an obscene amount.