What type of Moogerfooger should Moog make next?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!

Single Oscillator tone generator w/ Envelope Generator / Guitar Synth
20%
Chorus/Flanger unit (although the murf is pretty good at sounding like one)
8%
CV Sequencer
45%
Multimode filter (LP/HP/BP/Notch)
12%
A nice colorful Parametric EQ
7%
Fuzz/Overdrive/Distortion-centric pedal of some sort
8%

Total votes: 60

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:55 am

Make sure and leave a comment below if you have a selection other than the ones up there. I chose the first one. A tone generator would really complete the foogers in the modular sense, and give guitarists/bassists a really cool toy.
www.ctrlshft.com

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:11 am

I said a CV sequencer. But it would have to have the volt per octave thing going...

You left off a big choice.

Something totally messed up :) I bet Bob has sketches in a scrapbook someplace of some stuff that makes the Murf seem like an everyday toy.

Why not just get a small Modular synth? When I got my .com- it really opened up what my foogers could do.
Electronic Violinist here

Radio Lab

Moog "Big Brother"

Post by Radio Lab » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:12 am

I really beleive what would really be the next 'gotta have it' is the Single Oscillator with an LFO and a really snappy envelope unlike ARPs little brother from the 70's. I have one of them and although it is very cool in adding that 3rd oscillator to my Odyssey, it just seems to be lacking in many ways.
I am certain that the gang down there at Moog could dream up a really terrific Mooger that would blow the socks off of Arps Lil Bro, while really tying all the other Mooferfoogers in together as close to a Modular as ever before.
THAT MY FRIENDS, I BELEIVE...IS THE MISSING LINK. :twisted:

While we're just polling here, If any of you guys who voted for the Oscillator Mooger has a few moments, lets throw some ideas around that could add to this Virtual albeit quite do-able next Mooger. what do you guys/girls think could be added to the Big Bro to really set it apart without any exorbitant costs. (I thought the MurF was a tad high, maybe they could make it up to us with a price break on this one huh?!)

Anyway, whattayathink?? :roll: ...Hope Springs Eternal

CTRLSHFT

Re: Moog "Big Brother"

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Radio Lab wrote:I really beleive what would really be the next 'gotta have it' is the Single Oscillator with an LFO and a really snappy envelope unlike ARPs little brother from the 70's. I have one of them and although it is very cool in adding that 3rd oscillator to my Odyssey, it just seems to be lacking in many ways.
I am certain that the gang down there at Moog could dream up a really terrific Mooger that would blow the socks off of Arps Lil Bro, while really tying all the other Mooferfoogers in together as close to a Modular as ever before.

While we're just polling here, If any of you guys who voted for the Oscillator Mooger has a few moments, lets throw some ideas around that could add to this Virtual albeit quite do-able next Mooger. what do you guys/girls think could be added to the Big Bro to really set it apart without any exorbitant costs. (I thought the MurF was a tad high, maybe they could make it up to us with a price break on this one huh?!)

here's my mockup idea if you haven't already seen it: http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422
www.ctrlshft.com

Suburban Bather

Re: Moog "Big Brother"

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:01 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
Radio Lab wrote:I really beleive what would really be the next 'gotta have it' is the Single Oscillator with an LFO and a really snappy envelope unlike ARPs little brother from the 70's. I have one of them and although it is very cool in adding that 3rd oscillator to my Odyssey, it just seems to be lacking in many ways.

here's my mockup idea if you haven't already seen it: http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422
I voted for the single Osc Mooger as well. When I registered my CP-251 I posted the same link in the suggestions box for future moog products.

If we keep pushing this idea, it might just happen
:shock:

solarpanelasses

Post by solarpanelasses » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:32 pm

I voted for the EQ, I love the way my foogers make my tone sound in my effects chain, the beautiful analog circuitry makes everything sound so nice and warm. I wish they had something where i could have that warmth from the drive but i could control the other levels too. itd be a great preamp pedal.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:27 pm

solarpanelasses wrote:I voted for the EQ, I love the way my foogers make my tone sound in my effects chain, the beautiful analog circuitry makes everything sound so nice and warm. I wish they had something where i could have that warmth from the drive but i could control the other levels too. itd be a great preamp pedal.
absolutely, this would be a wonderful compliment to the murf, which is similar in some respects. another plus side is that this particular type of unit would probably be very cost effective to make, and be one of the more affordable foogers out there. they could still include some cv control over the pots too, leading to some great possibilities with the proper modulation sources.
www.ctrlshft.com

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:33 pm

I voted for the OSC/EG, although I disagree with the "Guitar Synth" part. What is meant by this? A serious pitch-to-CV converter is unrealistic to ask for. If you want a crappy mono sort-of-synth effect, get a BOSS SYB-3. If you want a real guitar synth, get a Roland GR-33.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:23 am

I love the way band pass sounds. attach the frequency to an lfo.....

Mmmmmmm

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 am

Impossible Sound wrote:I voted for the OSC/EG, although I disagree with the "Guitar Synth" part. What is meant by this? A serious pitch-to-CV converter is unrealistic to ask for. If you want a crappy mono sort-of-synth effect, get a BOSS SYB-3. If you want a real guitar synth, get a Roland GR-33.
the ehx micro synth would be a good example of how this could be implemented. pitch-to-cv convertion is hardly unrealistic, as witnessed by the relatively low price point for this item. moog does not want to go back to selling modulars, as they are not profitable to the mainstream, nor attractive to people who only play bass/guitar. so adding this feature is probably essential if we ever hope to see an individual OSC unit featured in the fooger series. my two cents on the issue, anyway.

check out the ehx here: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELHGMS
www.ctrlshft.com

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:46 pm

The Electro-Harmonix box is essentially the same as the BOSS pedal but with more controls. Neither tracks especially well and neither actually does pitch to CV.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Impossible Sound wrote:The Electro-Harmonix box is essentially the same as the BOSS pedal but with more controls. Neither tracks especially well and neither actually does pitch to CV.
not exactly. the boss is digital, dsp based. the ehx is analog ::deleted the rest, don't want to misinform people, you're right about the cv-pitch thing::

regardless, as previously stated, I too wish they WOULD just put out a OSC / ENV fooger.. i just think the trig feature would make it salable to more than just synth fanatics, and perk up the ears of musicians from all sorts of backgrounds, which is more or less why moog started the 'fooger line in the first place.

here's to something that'll WOW us all, hopefully :)
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:37 am

Just in case anyone wants to know, the EHX Micro-Synth isn't a Votage to Pitch Oscillator, it's an Octave Divider, like an Octave pedal, but with an envelope follower and filter. It's closer to a boss pedal, although it's analog, versus the digital circuit on the boss.

This kind of circuit is not the same as a real oscillator (it's a sub-oscillator), couldn't be controlled with CV, and wouldn't really be useful as a stand-alone tone generator.

A Pitch to Voltage circuit (controlling a real analog oscillator) is alot more complicated, and there aren't very many examples of this kind of product that work particularly well.

But who's to say it can't be made to work well now (most of the ones I've seen are from the 70s, like the one on the Korg MS20 or Roland SPV rack).

This PV/Osc/Env would get my vote too. Although, it would probably cost alot to make one that works as both a guitar synth/tone generator and a still function as a complex VCO (with footings, wave forms, tune, etc)-- not to mention having some kind of VCA and Env. So it would seem like it would be very expensive, or more expensive than some Moogers. I'd still want one. It would be great.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:27 pm

eric coleridge wrote:Just in case anyone wants to know, the EHX Micro-Synth isn't a Votage to Pitch Oscillator, it's an Octave Divider, like an Octave pedal, but with an envelope follower and filter. It's closer to a boss pedal, although it's analog, versus the digital circuit on the boss.

This kind of circuit is not the same as a real oscillator (it's a sub-oscillator), couldn't be controlled with CV, and wouldn't really be useful as a stand-alone tone generator.

A Pitch to Voltage circuit (controlling a real analog oscillator) is alot more complicated, and there aren't very many examples of this kind of product that work particularly well.

But who's to say it can't be made to work well now (most of the ones I've seen are from the 70s, like the one on the Korg MS20 or Roland SPV rack).

This PV/Osc/Env would get my vote too. Although, it would probably cost alot to make one that works as both a guitar synth/tone generator and a still function as a complex VCO (with footings, wave forms, tune, etc)-- not to mention having some kind of VCA and Env. So it would seem like it would be very expensive, or more expensive than some Moogers. I'd still want one. It would be great.
interesting, I was just going off of the specs on the vintagesynth.com site.. thanks for the clarification.

I agree that the osc unit would probably be expensive, but most osc units are in most high-end modular systems, and those don't include the casing the foogers have. alas, we shall see.. My guess/hope for pricing is $500 or under.
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 pm

supposedly the schumann pll did a descent job of tracking pitch. It is impossible to get them though.

Matt
Electronic Violinist here