What type of Moogerfooger should Moog make next?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!

What type of Moogerfooger should Moog make next?

Single Oscillator tone generator w/ Envelope Generator / Guitar Synth
20%
Chorus/Flanger unit (although the murf is pretty good at sounding like one)
8%
CV Sequencer
45%
Multimode filter (LP/HP/BP/Notch)
12%
A nice colorful Parametric EQ
7%
Fuzz/Overdrive/Distortion-centric pedal of some sort
8%

Total votes: 60

Spank

Post by Spank » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:17 pm

my filter needs a friggin good fuzz, the ones that are used on the synth.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Everyone and their mother has released a fuzz pedal, its been done to death. Anyone with a soldering iron and some transistors can whip up a fuzz. The last thing the world needs is ANOTHER fuzz pedal, IMHO, even if it is a Moog.

Moog/Bode Frequency Shifter all the way.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:09 am

don't get me wrong they all make sense and are good options for a poll like this, i just meant it's a bit unfair on the flanger or fuzz to be forced to try to compete with a fully functional guitar synth.
imagine a "best effects unit" poll where 4 boss pedals had to compete with a fooger. it's just not fair.
but yeah, who cares about fairness, bring on the guitar synth (wait i voted for the flanger 8) )

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:17 am

CTRLSHFT wrote: so really what else is there besides a tone gen type module, and analog effects pedals?
I agree.... these aren't really new instruments, they're just really well made, accessable versions of older effects and processors that draw from Moog's modular tradition. So, yeah, what else would they make?

Even the MURF isn't really a strictly "new" idea. It's a string filter (a popular rack processor from Moog's past) combined with a mini sequencer (animation). So, it seems like any of these choices listed in the poll are a pretty good guess at what might come around next. I really like most all the Moogers that they've put out so far, so it's interesting to speculate on what else might come out.
CTRLSHFT wrote:
the cv sequencer idea is even a little far fetched, but i included it anyway because the cp-251 unit showed us that moog is interested in the modular approach in some respects.
I'd think a CV sequencer is a fairly likely candidate for the next Moog product. For one thing, Moog was well known for their sequencers in the past (like their Low Pass Filter, String Filter, Phaser, MiniMoog, and others) and this type of re-introduction of popular older products (with updated functions) is totally in keeping with what Moog has been doing in the recent past. Plus, a sequencer would work well and add alot to all of the instruments and Moogers currently being made.

I'd also love to see a new (Bode) Frequency Shifter, a Filter Bank, and a P/V Oscillator. I think a High Pass/Band Pass filter would be great too-- but it doesn't seem like a particularly Moogy effect. I don't think they ever made a High or Band Resonant filter-- not that that should stop them, but...

Incidentally, I rememeber reading an article on the internet once where Bob Moog was talking about weird inventions that never made it to production and one thing he mentioned was a specially designed 4-Oscillator synth controlled by a Pitch to Voltage (I presumed) gizmo that he made for a famous saxophone player-- so that the synth could be played from the saxophone. So, it seems like a natural progression to try to make something of this sort for guitar players (seeing as the other Moogers are designed as guitar effects).

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:06 pm

I see how cats could be down on the whole fuzz/overdrive thing. There really are a million of those out there. However some type of votage controlled fuzz/overdrive could be very unique. Zvex has sort of done it with the fuzz probe pedal but the probe part only controlls the oscillation frequency. Moog could make something where you could control the fuzz level or the harmonic content of the overdrive with a voltage control. Or maybe put an effects loop into it like the analog delay has. What does anyone think about my previous idea of an analog whammy pedal like the old ada harmony synthesizer? To me this could be the closest to getting that guitar synth sound everyone's looking for...especially if there was a way to use the analog whammy sort of like a glide or portamento control on the voyager and make the notesz meld into eachother...

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:31 am

I like octave pedals (and pitch shifter/harmonizer effects) alot, but what I really want from another Mooger is a independent tone generator/oscillator that could be used with the Low Pass Filter(and the others) to complete a simple little modular synthesizer.

They've given us all these CV/modular controls and capabilities (and turned me and others on to the fun and functionality of this technology) -- but they've stopped short of allowing us to create the patches and sounds of a fully functional modular synthesizer.

i think one way that people have been imagining this imagined Oscillator Mooger to appeal to guitar and other instrumentalists (and not just aspiring Mooger CV modular users) is to make the oscillator controllable from the input signal via pitch to voltage circuit.

I also really dig your idea of rocker-pedal controllable pitch shifter type effect. This would probably be a very dramatic and bizzare sound... but I would think that this type of real-time pitch shifting might have to be accomplished using digital circuits. Even basic Pitch Shifting is (as far as I know) a typically digital type of sound effect (thinking of the first 70s Eventide Harmonizer, etc.). Maybe not a typically Moog sort of processor. But then again, who am I to say?

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:47 pm

I believe you're right however, ADA did make something called the harmony synthesizer in the late 70's that was sort of an analog delay/pitch shifter. Here's an excerpt from the Analogman guide to vintage effetcs that explains it: "Designed by A/DA founder David Tarnowski, it's a rather elaborate analog delay and pitch transposer. The pitch transposing is accomplised without the use of digital technology by means of a painfully complex circuit that includes no less than 42 IC chips and has fourteen internal trimpots...The sound quality is pretty lo-fi, especially compared to something like an Eventide Harmonizer...One unique feature was the ability to create polyphonic octave effects." Apparently there were only 800 of them made...rarer than moog's first analog delay! Anyway, I think this type of idea could be put to great use by moog and they could use existing analog delay circuits that they've already developed. For the musician looking to stay completely analog it might be a wonderful and crazy alternative to the whammy pedal...just a thought

bentropy

Post by bentropy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:48 am

I'm new here but get ready to hate me: I want a midi-beat-clock to mooger-tempo interface. I like to sync effects and sequencers, esp to be able to combine different time signatures and note values. I voted for the step sequencer with these kinds of synchro-sonic/conversion features in mind.

If I send a metronomic pulse (e.g. a drum hit per beat) from my sequencer to a tap-in of, say, the delay or murf, will that sync the moogers to midi? Can audio be used as CV like this or will blood shoot from the pedal board?

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:54 am

bentropy wrote: If I send a metronomic pulse (e.g. a drum hit per beat) from my sequencer to a tap-in of, say, the delay or murf, will that sync the moogers to midi?
I dont have a MuRF, but I'm fairly certain this will work with the MuRF as long the metronomic signal is as square wave like as possible. This won't work with the delay, though. The delay time is controlled by a DC voltage.
bentropy wrote: Can audio be used as CV like this..
Yes, on the circuit level they are the same thing. They are both just signals to a circuit.
bentropy wrote: ....or will blood shoot from the pedal board?
Sounds like an interesting new feature. How 'bout it moog? :wink:

bentropy

Post by bentropy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:01 am

thanks for the response
Yes, on the circuit level they are the same thing. They are both just signals to a circuit.
So, lemme test this idea...
Feeding a drum loop into, say, the mf-101's cutoff control input, will open the 101's filter? Will high frequencies in the audio (e.g. high-hat) open it and low frequencies (bass drum) close it, or is it just the amplitude level of the audio that serves as an increase in CV level?

What about sending a full mix audio signal into, say, the 103's sweep input? Will the sweep frequency jump around in response to...what? Frequencies in the mix? Amplitude levels in mix?

I guess I need to try this stuff, but any clarification is appreciated. I'm fairly experienced with synths and samplers, but not with real CV, since I'm a child of MIDI.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:22 am

bentropy wrote: So, lemme test this idea...
Feeding a drum loop into, say, the mf-101's cutoff control input, will open the 101's filter? Will high frequencies in the audio (e.g. high-hat) open it and low frequencies (bass drum) close it, or is it just the amplitude level of the audio that serves as an increase in CV level?
The only way to trigger the 101's gate is to input a signal into its audio in. If you like, you can then patch the envelope out to other moog FX or whatever. The envelope amount is controlled by amplitude, not pitch. You could find a pitch to CV converter...
What about sending a full mix audio signal into, say, the 103's sweep input? Will the sweep frequency jump around in response to...what? Frequencies in the mix? Amplitude levels in mix?
I haven't tried this. You can use an audio signal, e.g. an MF-102 carrier out as a modulation source. I quite often do this, patching it to the frequency control of the MF-101. You get a "gritty" sounding filter, as the modulation is quite fast. So, an audio mix would probably end up distorting something.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:49 am

bentropy wrote:thanks for the response

Feeding a drum loop into the cutoff control may give you some results, but they aren't going to be very good because the signal hasn't been "conditioned" to work well as an envelope (it must be rectified, then filtered, then set to a proper amplitude). And as latigid on said, its amplitude that controls the cutoff.
Same as above.

The best thing to do with CV is experiment, sometime results can be not what you expected!

stimbox

Dual VCO Moogerfooger!!!!

Post by stimbox » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:02 pm

They used to make a dual vco rack mount.
[url=http://stimbox.harshnoise.com]stimbox[/url]
[url=http://www.harshnoise.com]Harsh Noise[/url]
[url=http://www.noisemp3.com]NoiseMp3.com[/url]
[url=http://www.harshnoise.com/board/index.php]Harshnoise BBS[/url]

eric coleridge

Re: Dual VCO Moogerfooger!!!!

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:22 am

stimbox wrote:They used to make a dual vco rack mount.
"They" still do:

www.moogce.com

for $750, I think.

stimbox

Post by stimbox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:09 pm

i'd rather have a mooger fooger dual oscillator.
[url=http://stimbox.harshnoise.com]stimbox[/url]
[url=http://www.harshnoise.com]Harsh Noise[/url]
[url=http://www.noisemp3.com]NoiseMp3.com[/url]
[url=http://www.harshnoise.com/board/index.php]Harshnoise BBS[/url]