Korg SQ-1 a sa memory for MoogerFoogers and other analogue effects

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
stiiiiiiive

Korg SQ-1 a sa memory for MoogerFoogers and other analogue effects

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Here's a tip I'm sure I did not invent, but I feel it can be useful to some of you.

The Korg SQ-1 can memorize 16 CV values and send them through 2 outputs. Provided your FX pedal has an expression/CV input, you can use the SQ-1 as a CV memory unit.

Set it in Active Step mode to activate only one step and start the sequencer. Connect the apropriate CV out to your FX pedal CV/expression input and adjust the step pot to taste. You may want to adjust the range of the pot (1 to 8 V/Oct).
Repeat for as many values as you want to call back. When you want to change the preset value, just switch on the right step.

Alternative: in Step Jump mode, you don't have to run the sequencer but each step is then triggered by pressing the step button. Consequently, you can here the change value effect only by pressing that button again.

Of course, this applies to any CV sequencer, but provided the price tag and footprint of this one, I feel it does the job brillantly. Plus as it can function as two sequencers with each its output, you can use this trick for two pedals simultaneously.

kn_s

Re: Korg SQ-1 a sa memory for MoogerFoogers and other analogue effects

Post by kn_s » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:22 pm

never really thought of that one, got to try this out! Thank you!!
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:52 am

hey that is a pretty neat idea! thanks!

JimF

Post by JimF » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:22 am

Hi everyone,

I actually used something like this years ago in live performance- a (primitive) Technosaurus Cyclodon sequencer (16 steps, just one cv and gate) to provide a single cv to go to an MF cv in (eg cutoff freq or resonance on MF101). It works, as one would expect. I don't own the Korg sequencer mentioned, but having multiple layers of cvs of course makes the idea more flexible.

If you'll allow me a departure from Moog-branded instruments, a newer box which works fantastically with this idea is the MakeNoise 0ctrl. 8 steps, running as sequence or selected by individual touchpads. There are 3 layers of cvs, each of which has a 'designated' purpose within the MakeNoise world, but which are all available via sockets as well. So 3 parameters controlled simultaneously on 1 or more MFs. _And_ the touchpads are pressure-sensitive, with another cv out. So you can use the box to set up an MF with cvs and then 'play' an extra parameter via pressure.

I admit that I haven't used this setup with my MFs, but I have used it with my Macbeth MicroMac D (synthesizer, expanded MiniMoog architecture with extra cv connectivity). Works like a dream.

(You can check it on my soon-to-be-released CD - 'Songs from the Lake', NEOS Music 12029, https://neos-music.com/ under 'coming soon'. Particularly used on track 4, 'Mirrored Depths'.)

JimF

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks for sharing, JimF :)

Indeed, I saw a couple of vids about that 0ctrl and it seems very handy and well thought. I'm not a huge fan of sequencers as they tend to "freeze" the music a bit too much for me; so -to me- sequencers allowing for real time playing while running certainly are an interesting option.

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:45 pm

Pretty cool stiiiiive. I use a couple of Behringer 960 clones, with 962's. They're super inexpensive, and once you replace the potentiometers, pretty accurate to boot. They're fun to use with DFAM and SunH too.

Now to eurorack my moogerfoogers someday...
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.