Female audio adapters for Moogerfoogers

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
mortadela

Female audio adapters for Moogerfoogers

Post by mortadela » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:39 pm

Hey you guys, I own the ring mod, filter and freqbox foogers and I wanna cv connect them to Mother-32 and Subharmonicon, but the plug sizes are different (1/4 inch in the foogers and 1/8 in the synths), so I'm planning to buy some TS audio adapters in bulk from Alibaba or smth, and keep them plugged in all of the CV ins of the foogers so I can patch them with the regular cables that come with the synths... Is this safe? Would I expect any trouble from this? Also, I've read that TS are the kind I need, not TRS, can anyone confirm? Thanks!

JimF

Re: Female audio adapters for Moogerfoogers

Post by JimF » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:41 am

HI Mortadela,

technical point to be aware of: on the MFs, most (if not all) of the cv inputs are TRS sockets, with +5V on the ring, to power an expression pedal etc. According to the documentation, it's safe to short this out using a TS plug (current-limited circuits), but with some of the MFs this will prevent a pedal being used in any socket.

Might be safest to use adaptors with 1/8" TS- 1/4" TRS, eg

1/8" socket T - 1/4" plug T
1/4" plug R not connected
1/8" socket S - 1/4" plug S

Or, simply a bunch of longer cables with 1/8" TS plug on one end and 1/4" TRS plug on the other, also wired as above. (These are then not really 'adaptors', but simply cables that go between the various devices.)

Note: this assumes that the devices with 1/8" sockets use TS. (I don't know about this; I have MFs, but none of the other devices you mention. I have other devices, though, with 1/8" sckets, all of them TS apart from headphone outs or 1/8" MIDI sockets, which are TRS.)

You may need to solder these yourself. If you do, it's advisable to use good-quality sockets. Cheap ones tend sometimes to be unreliable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim F.

mortadela

Re: Female audio adapters for Moogerfoogers

Post by mortadela » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks, for the reply, Jim, was looking for an easy solution, seems not to be quite the case this time. I guess buying or having cables with such characteristics made will be a little pricier... maybe I'll just get a few made and use them as I need them. Great info, man, cheers!