is it possible to "ping" the filters of the murf?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
kn_s

is it possible to "ping" the filters of the murf?

Post by kn_s » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 pm

ok, i have been way silent on here for many months and have been delving into eurocrack but my moogs (mother 32 and werkstatt) have been along for the ride. that being said, i have also been following hainbach probably way too much on youtube, but he recently posted a video using the serge resonant eq (which has some similarity to the moog murf). anywho, i posed the question to him, and he said it should work, but he fried his murf with the test equipment (if memory serves me correct), but i have yet to try it myself. has anyone here tried or is it even possible to "ping" the filter bands of the murf? this for me is where the lines of audio and cv get blurry and i dont want to fry things but it "sounds" like in theory that it should work. from what i can see patch wise in his video he is sending cv from make noise maths to the "in" of the serge but what exactly would that be on the murf???????? the other confusing part is he's using the old version of maths not the current one? anyone else seen this and or explored this area??
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

GregAE

Re: is it possible to "ping" the filters of the murf?

Post by GregAE » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:48 am

By 'pinging', do you mean apply a very short transient CV to the input to excite the filter bands in the MuRF?

kn_s

Post by kn_s » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm

GregAE wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:48 am By 'pinging', do you mean apply a very short transient CV to the input to excite the filter bands in the MuRF?
by my understanding of "pinging" then yes. i did try to play around with this this past weekend. i believe the answer is kind of a no being the only inputs outside of audio are for the rate, mix, envelope and lfo/sweep. i did sorta get what i was looking for by sending cv from my ehx 8step program into the audio input but lets say it was lacking umph. and i didn't want to fry my murf

Greg AE thanks for the reply!
LP solar, minitaur, m32, werkstatt, 101/102/103/104m/105m/107/108m,cp-251,mf delay v1&2+drivev2, microkorg, monologue, volcas, monotribe & trons, sq-1, too many pedals!, guitars, '07 imac (10.11.6), simmons sds7, & now eurocrack, etc...

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 am

Not surprised that the result from injecting the audio in with a CV impulse was kind of 'meh'. I didn't think the Q of the filter bands would be sharp enough to ring with any real 'umph'. I'll have to try this myself when I get the chance. Thanks for bringing this up and looking into it!