Q - Just purchased a CP-251

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Concept

Q - Just purchased a CP-251

Post by Concept » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Hey guys,

I just purchased a CP-251 with the intentions of using it with my Little Phatty and expanding my sound creation capabilities.

I also own a Moog Rogue that could be used with this guy too!

I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, however, I just wanted to see what kind of ideas you guys may throw at me.

I already understand synthesizers pretty well......I just haven't done much modular/patching in my day. Will I be able to use the CP-251 to my advantage with the two Moogs that I own or should I also look into purchasing some other MoogerFoogers to help me along? I am currently looking into buying the MURF and Ring Mod.

Spill some knowledge on a fellow Mooger....

Thanks much,

George
:D
http://www.myspace.com/hiddenforces
www.breakdownsound.com
Apple G5 Dual 2Ghz / Logic Pro / Reason
E-mu E6400 Ultra w/RFX /E-mu XL-1
Access Virus b / Novation Nova
Moog LP #0103 / Moog Rogue
Mackie 32:8 / Mackie Control

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:57 pm

Hello Concept!

You'll be able to do a lot of cool stuff with the CP-251 and LP such as use the CP as an extra LFO and utilizing the CP's sample and hold circuit. Also, the LP doesn't have a noise source and the CP does. Basically, its pretty obvious the designers of the LP intended for the CP to be the perfect compliment.

As for buying more moogerfoogers, well thats up to you and your wallet because you WILL want more. This stuff is like grown-up Pokemon, "Gotta catch 'em all!" Know what I mean? :)

The ring mod would be a great addition. You will get another LFO and the carrier oscillator that can be mixed via the CP then run to the LP.
Last edited by OysterRock on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Concept

Post by Concept » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:01 pm

Thanks OysterRock!

Yeah....I purchased the CP-251 because it totally seems like the perfect companion for my LP.

I will defintly play around with the examples you have given me!

Take care,

Gerge / Concept
http://www.myspace.com/hiddenforces
www.breakdownsound.com
Apple G5 Dual 2Ghz / Logic Pro / Reason
E-mu E6400 Ultra w/RFX /E-mu XL-1
Access Virus b / Novation Nova
Moog LP #0103 / Moog Rogue
Mackie 32:8 / Mackie Control

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Also, you may want to join the LP Yahoo group if you haven't already. Good tips and tricks from other LP owners.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/phatsound

CTRLSHFT

Re: Q - Just purchased a CP-251

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:43 am

Concept wrote:Hey guys,

I just purchased a CP-251 with the intentions of using it with my Little Phatty and expanding my sound creation capabilities.

I also own a Moog Rogue that could be used with this guy too!

I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, however, I just wanted to see what kind of ideas you guys may throw at me.

I already understand synthesizers pretty well......I just haven't done much modular/patching in my day. Will I be able to use the CP-251 to my advantage with the two Moogs that I own or should I also look into purchasing some other MoogerFoogers to help me along? I am currently looking into buying the MURF and Ring Mod.

Spill some knowledge on a fellow Mooger....

Thanks much,

George
:D

's definitlely a huge compliment to the LP, as well as the rest of any analog-based studio. you'll find the lfo / noise / and s&h to be especially useful. i'd highly suggest getting the mf-102 as your next purchase. it'll compliment the lp not only sonically, but give you TWO MORE LFO's (one of which can go to 4khz!) to mess with in conjunction with the LP and cp-251's mod inputs.
Last edited by CTRLSHFT on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.ctrlshft.com

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:31 am

I currently only have the MF104sd and my LP should arive in another 2 or 3 weeks, but this is my long term plan for things to come after i get my LP

1st, get a cp251

2nd, get a MAPS wich looks like an awesome seq, but also using it as a midi-cv will give you outputs for pitch, gate, velocity and the mod wheel!

not sure what will come after that, either the ring mod, murf or phaser (that's my current preference order, but that changes daily)

i think the LP will definitely need some kind of midid-cv at some point to really get the most out of the modular moogerphooger setup

also don't forget the delay, it's expensive but it sounds awesome and combined with a cp251 you'd be able to do a lot of insane and wonderful things

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:15 pm

Concept,

You may want to keep a very watchful eye on Ebay as you go along. I know that's sort of obvious, but you can get the Big Briar MFs for about 1/2 price so you can build up your MF collection pretty fast if you don't mind used gear.

The 102 should be your first MF for the reasons above. After that it will depend on your sound and your wallet. Look over the CP-251 manual (you can download it from this site) for some excellent examples of what it can do.