MF-104M How slow is tap tempo meant to go?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
David Smyth

MF-104M How slow is tap tempo meant to go?

Post by David Smyth » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:42 am

Hey there,

I've got this idea to use one of my two MF-104M's as a vocal delay, routed from an Aux send on my mixing desk.

I want whole note length delays (i.e. one delay per bar) to match my VST/DAW delays, but in a live performance situation.

I'm having trouble tapping the delay time this slow..
Is this meant to be possible or is there a limit to how slow it can go via tap tempo?

Cheers
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

stiiiiiiive

Re: MF-104M How slow is tap tempo meant to go?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm

I think there is a limit, the user's guide will tell you better than me though.

However, you may want to try either syncing in MIDI or tapping half bars with the fast setting and switch into slow afterwards. I used to did a similar trick tapping dotted quarter notes to obtain dotted eighth notes - harder to tap...

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:17 am

Cheers for your help stiiiiiiive.

After further testing, yes there seems to be a lower limit where the tapping doesn't register as a delay time, however your idea to tap while in short mode and then switch to long mode got me the delay lengths I'm looking for.

Interesting sound for vocals though.. I mean I knew it wouldn't be clear like digital, but it really breaks up (my voice atleast) like crazy.

Probably in part because using the short mode/long mode tapping technique gets you into real slow territory, with artifacts and so on.
Minimoog Voyager XL, Little Phatty Stage II + CV Output Mod, 2x Slim Phatty, Minitaur, MP-201, EP-2, 2x CP-251, MF-102, MF-104M, MF-107

Sculptair

Post by Sculptair » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 am

Sounds like you found a solution. I use a midi clock with mine. It works well.
Sculptair

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:24 am

Sculptair wrote:Sounds like you found a solution. I use a midi clock with mine. It works well.
I'm interested in using MIDI clock too. Have you typically been able to get very long delay lengths (whole note etc.) via MIDI clock? I'll have to have a play around..

For a live band application, I was thinking tapping might be easier but ya never know.