Introducing Vongon VF-104: a midi controller for the MF-104

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
vongon

Introducing Vongon VF-104: a midi controller for the MF-104

Post by vongon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Hello!

For those of you that are fortunate enough to own a MF-104 analog delay with MIDI input, I have made a midi controller stomp box that enables you to save presets for the moogerfooger. I found it to be super useful when playing with the moogerfooger, especially in a live setting. Check out the video linked below, it's fairly in-depth and goes through device capabilities, operation, and suggested applications.

I originally built this device for myself a few years ago and posted on this forum which generated a lot of interest (I ended up making one for Trey Anastasio of Phish!) - since then I've made some refinements and now it's for sale! ($299 USD).

Would love to hear what you all think, I'm learning as I go here. I would be open to offering discounted DIY kits if there is enough interest, let me know!

commercial/tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGnVd1EHBIs

available now @ http://www.vongon.com

unfiltered37

Re: Introducing Vongon VF-104: a midi controller for the MF-

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 pm

pretty cool, too bad I have the old school black and white version. However, I recently made a cassette delay, put it after the 104 just to experiment, and only now am reaching the full potential of the 104Z. The reason being is that the second delay makes crazy delay modulations much more musical/forgiving than alone, so if i wanted to do crazy delay time moves, i'd always be a little leery as unlike most synth people, i don't like to delve into "bleeps and bloops" too much and depart from "music". But now, I can go off into crazy time trips and still sound musical.

Not a Phish fan, but I also provided Trey with a product once, and this chick I knew provided him with a service, after this other chick I knew denied him that service, haha.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 am

Wow, cool initiative, great story, congratulations :)

The video is nice too, bravo :)

vongon

Post by vongon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:17 pm

update: If your are outside of the US, you can save on shipping if you purchase through reverb.com

https://reverb.com/item/22149578-vongon ... oog-mf-104

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am

vongon wrote:Would love to hear what you all think, I'm learning as I go here.
Hi Vongon,

It's odd that you didn't include the seventh Smooth S&H LFO choice on your dial.
(Page 23 of the manual.)

It would be very useful to have as you can otherwise only get to it via CC# 96-127.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:56 pm

That's a very good point Daniel.

Even odder is the fact I haven't seen it: I saw the waveforms and without going into details, thought "cool, it's possible to select any of the 7 LFO waveforms without any cheat code!".

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 am

Very nice! A great unit for live playing! Good luck with it!
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

vongon

Post by vongon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:18 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
vongon wrote:Would love to hear what you all think, I'm learning as I go here.
Hi Vongon,

It's odd that you didn't include the seventh Smooth S&H LFO choice on your dial.
(Page 23 of the manual.)

It would be very useful to have as you can otherwise only get to it via CC# 96-127.
Good catch! Just to keep it as simple as possible, I decided to only include parameters that are available on the front panel because when I started to include the "hidden" parameters it added (in my opinion) too much complexity. For example, the smooth s&h lfo waveform is only "smooth" if I also include the parameter for time slew rate (CC# 5) as well.

But I have heard suggestions for building a box that would only include the "hidden" parameters -- such as smooth s&h, time slew rate, delay time multiplier, filter bright/dark -- which sounds like a really cool idea!

Also, I only have 1 more pedal left from my first batch of 10, thank you so much if you purchased one! I'll be building more AND a very similar pedal for the MF-108m Cluster Flux. Stay tuned : )

vongon

Post by vongon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:48 pm

More available: Just finished a new batch of 10 units available on our website at https://www.vongon.com/.

When I originally announced the VF-104, I received some requests to build a similar midi controller for the MF-108 Cluster Flux. So now we have 2 products!

VF-104 -> MF-104 Analog Delay: https://www.vongon.com/product/vf104
VF-108 -> MF-108 Cluster Flux: https://www.vongon.com/product/vf108

Thanks!

Sculptair

Post by Sculptair » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Very nice.
Sculptair

elcubismo

Post by elcubismo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Need to slap some wood sides on those bad boys! I don't have either of those, but super awesome products!