MF 106 idea

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
godzilla

MF 106 idea

Post by godzilla » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:30 am

you could use it to contour the volume of your input, or shape modulation sources much like the voyager does

the drive control only has effect when in audio mode

you can also use the env and the amp individually at the same time, or use them together or just use one of them.

the level knob is independent of the ENV
turning up the level knob allows the sound to be heard when the env hasn't been triggered, then the env would raise the volume after it's triggered. if the level knob is set to zero then the amp is completely controlled by the ENV (and the Level input on the back)

i think this would be an awesome pedal
i can't imagine it would cost much to make as it's so simple
it allows you to make a workable synth just with mooger foogers
it adds many modulation possibilities to current moogerfoogers/moog synths
it would also make a cool guitar pedal for those who want to change their volume dynamics in new ways on stage

oh yeah, and moog feel free to use the design if you want :wink:

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:17 pm

The ENV/VCA could be triggered by incomming audio as well, right? It would'nt neccesarily have to be an Envelope Follower. But just an audio triggered ENV. I think it would be more useful to guitar players, and in general this way. More like a typical "gate". Where it would be triggered above a certain threshold (possibly set by another knob). I would like to have a good gate pedal, apart from wanting a VCA for my Moogers.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:29 am

sorry i should have made it more clear

the on/off switch at the very bottom is actually the tigger source for the ENV, and the gate out outputs the gate signal caused by this switch, and then you can use the gate input to control it with a synth, seq, env follower, LFO, etc

when the sustain is set to off, you just get a normal AD ENV
note on /\
when set to on the note will sustain as long as you hold down the pedal
...............___
note on /..........(note off)\

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:41 am

It's funny how I'm making suggestions on how your proposed Moogerfooger will work, right?

I've been trying to learn as much about electronics and circuits as I can (good luck to me) in hopes of maybe building my own circuits; ones that that I would find useful, but aren't neccesarily available (like the one you described above).

But the thing is, I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to build a product as nice, or professionally slick, as a Moog product, for instance... and sometimes the design of the instrument is just as interesting to me as it's function.

So, it occurrs to me (and lots of other people before) to maybe build some extra functions into a more limited product. Like the Moog Prodigy, for instance, could likely be altered to have the functions of this Moogerfooger you've created...

Have you ever thought of going this direction?
Check out this MS10 that I found on someones blog. This guy has re-designed it to fit into his aestetic idea of what he would have wanted it to be:
http://ms10rebuild.blogspot.com/

It's so cool, I think, what he's done. He's taken one of the ugliest synths and transformed it into a thing a beauty. You could just as easily go the other way, taking a beautiful, but limited instrument, and transform it into a highly functional synth to integrate into your existing system.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:32 am

i'm not really good with electronics (yet) i do plan to get into it more, but i think if moog don't make product like this it would be easier to just get a couple of synthesizers.com modules (VCA and ENV) and house them in a small box

if they did release something like this i would be really happy, but i wouldn't get it right away, i need a CP-251 and maybe a seq far more than one of these

i just posted the idea as i thought it would make a great pedal, appealing to both guitarists and modularists. Also i don't think it would cost very much to make and i think that it could really add to the effectiveness of the other foogers

you could already use a great many synths to do this knid of thing, just plug a footswitch into the gate in and plug the guitar into the ext in, but you wouldn't be able to set it so that the guitar can be boosted by the footswitch it would only be on/off. Also you wouldn't be able to shape voltage signals.

i can imagine this pedal would work really well for guitarists that use a lot of feedback, you could be feedingback like crazy but you'd have complete control over when the sound comes in, cuts out and how fast it does these.

eric coleridge

VCA

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:11 am

godzilla wrote: you could already use a great many synths to do this knid of thing, just plug a footswitch into the gate in and plug the guitar into the ext in
Also, if your synth has a 'Gate' input (you can add a Gate input to a Prodigy with a simple modification outlined here: http://www.synhouse.com/prodigy2.html ), you can trigger it with the 'Env' output on the Mooger 101 LPF. I've successfully used this trigger on more than one mono synth; It usually works.
It's pretty cool because if you use the MF102Ring-Mod sent to the MF101LPF and then into a synth with audio input (plus gate triggered by the 101's Env) you can create a complete VCO-VCF-VCA modular set-up... (102-101-Prodigy)
godzilla wrote: but you wouldn't be able to set it so that the guitar can be boosted by the footswitch it would only be on/off.
Usually, VCAs are attentuaters and don't add gain or volume to a signal (not that your idea would have to follow this typical VCA function). The VCA subtracts from the signal to contour it over time set by the Envelope. But this contouring will work on an external signal fed to your synth's audio input. The ENV/ VCA just needs to be triggered, as you pointed out.
godzilla wrote: Also you wouldn't be able to shape voltage signals.
Most synth audio processors I've used will process Control Voltages too (and vice versa). The 2nd VCA on the MS20, for instance, although made as a CV VCA, will work as a audio VCA as well! Or as another example, I suspect the CV mixer on the CP251 will work as an audio mixer too.
Or, you can use the MF102 Ring Mod to process CV signals. Try ring-modulating two different LFOs, for instance. I haven't found it all that useful, but it works. Just an FYI, in case anyone was wondering...

godzilla

Re: VCA

Post by godzilla » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:21 am

eric coleridge wrote:
Usually, VCAs are attentuaters and don't add gain or volume to a signal (not that your idea would have to follow this typical VCA function). The VCA subtracts from the signal to contour it over time set by the Envelope. But this contouring will work on an external signal fed to your synth's audio input. The ENV/ VCA just needs to be triggered, as you pointed out.
yeah but you wouold get the different high low parts that you can then boost with your amp or the drive knob on this design (the drive knob would only be active when the pedal is set to audio), so when your not holding the pedal, this would be your normal playing volume and if you want to boost it during a solo you just hold down the pedal. A volume pedal would do the same thing but i think this would be a lot more elegant as you can really define the the volume sweepage with the ENV
Most synth audio processors I've used will process Control Voltages too (and vice versa). The 2nd VCA on the MS20, for instance, although made as a CV VCA, will work as a audio VCA as well! Or as another example, I suspect the CV mixer on the CP251 will work as an audio mixer too.
Or, you can use the MF102 Ring Mod to process CV signals. Try ring-modulating two different LFOs, for instance. I haven't found it all that useful, but it works. Just an FYI, in case anyone was wondering...
some cool info thanks!
the only thing is though, you need 2 synths if you want to do this while playing synth. Cool stuff about the ring mod though,
it would be interesting to use the CV out of your synth as one of the inputs, and plug the ring mod out back into CV in on the synth, wonder what that would sound like?

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:57 am

godzilla wrote:i'm not really good with electronics (yet) i do plan to get into it more, but i think if moog don't make product like this it would be easier to just get a couple of synthesizers.com modules (VCA and ENV) and house them in a small box
You know the original Moog Music (Moog Custom Engineering) is still alive and well (still in Buffalo NY) and still sell the original Moog Modular equipment. They're not as cheap as Synth.com of course; They're kinda pricey:

http://www.moogce.com/prod04.htm

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:37 pm

nice design!

i'm still hoping though that they find a way to integrate an amp/env gen/ and osc into a single fooger unit in the near future. i'd totally drop like $399.00 apiece for something like that. I'd be good for all types of musicians, but stay complex enough for even the most dedicated foogerheads out there..
www.ctrlshft.com

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:07 am

they could release this one and another that combines pitch-voltage conversion and a VCO

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:09 am

they could release this one and another that combines pitch-voltage conversion and a VCO