mf-101 high pitched whine???

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
tiger vomitt

mf-101 high pitched whine???

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:51 pm

i love this pedal but it does something that drives me absolutely nuts. when it's plugged in there is a high pitched whine. it's even worse when i crank up the drive knob. but even without doing that it's there. there's hiss but i can deal with that, it is an effect. but the whine is such a deal breaker. does this happen to anyone else?

also, i gotta say i find it really annoying that the drive isnt bypassed when the pedal is. it messes up my whole level matching thing across the different overdrives and distortion pedals i use. i look at it like, when it's bypassed, i dont even want to know it's there ya know???

does anyone have any suggestions about rectifying either of these 2 items??? thank you!!!

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Not sure about the whine, but I can say that the Moogerfoogers are not true bypass. On the plus side, it's not a bad thing having a Moog preamp in your signal chain, but I sympathize with the gain issue. You could put the Moogerfooger in an effects loop so that when you're not using it it's out of the signal chain...

tiger vomitt

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:10 pm

hieronymous wrote:Not sure about the whine, but I can say that the Moogerfoogers are not true bypass. On the plus side, it's not a bad thing having a Moog preamp in your signal chain, but I sympathize with the gain issue. You could put the Moogerfooger in an effects loop so that when you're not using it it's out of the signal chain...
if my effects loop were switchable, yeah that'd be a really good thing to do. it's an eden wt400 bass amp

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:18 pm

I was going to suggest loooper, but when I looked at his website, it looks like he's not making pedals at this time. There are other companies that make switchable effects loop pedals, though. It might be worth considering, especially if you start collecting more Moogerfoogers!

Gotta figure out that whine though. My MF-104 delay does that if the delay setting is really long, but I don't think I've ever heard my MF-101 do it. Did you try contacting Moog directly?

tiger vomitt

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:34 pm

yeah i mean i thought about a looping pedal but really how i want it is in the middle of the pedal chain. i could use the looper in the middle though..but besides all that, i feel like it shouldnt be making this whine.

i havent contacted moog directly - since it's the weekend i figured id fish around here and see if anyone has shared my experience with it

while the pedal's on and being used it sounds amazing, there's no doubt about that. it's the noise that is left when not being used that is bothersome.

thanks btw! very cool forum here, i used it a lot when i was shopping for an envelope filter

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:27 pm

Just a check: you don't have the resonance all the way up, do you?

tiger vomitt

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:56 pm

latigid on wrote:Just a check: you don't have the resonance all the way up, do you?
no but good guess :D
happens at all different resonances, even when the unit is bypassed altogether

naqweb

Re: mf-101 high pitched whine???

Post by naqweb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:32 am

tiger vomitt wrote:.... there is a high pitched whine. it's even worse when i crank up the drive knob. but even without doing that it's there. there's hiss but i can deal with that, it is an effect. but the whine is such a deal breaker. does this happen to anyone else?
I had this problem and changed the power adapter, and then it went away. The same thing happened on other moogerfoogers as well, so now I have them all on seperate adapters, and the problem has gone.

Hope this helps.

Duke Foog

Post by Duke Foog » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:17 am

ok good. i'm totally having the same problem. not a whining from the 101 but a fair bit of static and hum. also my murf sometimes makes some weird noises. what kind of adapters do you use now? do you also use a power distributor? does that help?

naqweb

Post by naqweb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:02 am

Duke Foog wrote:ok good. i'm totally having the same problem. not a whining from the 101 but a fair bit of static and hum. also my murf sometimes makes some weird noises. what kind of adapters do you use now? do you also use a power distributor? does that help?
Hi, it's just separate adapters (one for each of 4 moogerfoogers, including the cp-251). It's just some standard adapters, I bought , 2 different kinds, but they are all OK, it seems (mind you, I'm in europe, so it's 220V here). When I had the whining problem I used a shared adapter (for 5-7 pedals). I don't have this problem with other effects using that shared adapter, by the way.