connecting MF-102 to prodigy question...

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Keith collins

connecting MF-102 to prodigy question...

Post by Keith collins » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:07 pm

this is a follow up to a post i made a few weeks ago.
i have it in the general moog forum, but it's not getting an answer...
i want to run the LFO from a MF ring modulator into my prodogy to create an auto trigger effect.

i don't have the ring modulator yet, but i wanted to know if i have the right input for it before i buy it. (i know nothing of electronics)

looking at the back of my prodigy i have sepatate inputs for each of the following:
"S-TRIG IN/OUT"
"KYBO IN/OUT"
"OSC IN"
"VCF IN"
"SYNC IN"
"AUDIO OUT"

as always thanks for the help!

eric coleridge

Prodigy/ Ring Mod

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:25 pm

I posted a reply about this, but it didn't show up. So, I'll try again:

The Ring Mod LFO out should be connected to your Prodigy's S-trig input. You'll need to either make a 1/4" to Cinch Jones cable (parts available at Radio Shack) or buy one. This will probably work for the effect you're asking about. The square wave LFO should continuously re-trigger your Prodigy. If it doesn't, you may want to try inserting the gate to s-trig circuitry that someone posted on your last message about this. This circuit can be bought prefabricted with the 1/4" to Cinch Jones cable on e-bay.

I haven't actually tried it. But I have used the MF102 LFO out to trigger other synths with success. So, it will probably work with some creativity.

Even so, there are alot of connections you can create with the MF102 that will expand the versatility of your MkII Prodigy. It is well worth the investment IMO.

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:08 pm

yeah, i got your post the first time.
thanks! i have an s-trig cable on order, so as soon as it gets here i'll be off to get the 102. it will be my first MF, i can't wait.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:35 pm

Keith collins wrote:yeah, i got your post the first time.
thanks! i have an s-trig cable on order, so as soon as it gets here i'll be off to get the 102. it will be my first MF, i can't wait.
It's a really great Mooger to start with because it adds so much to a synth like the Prodigy. Particularly if you consider adding an audio input mod to your Prodigy (which can be found on the Synhouse modifications page). This would give you the option of adding a third oscillator into the Prodigy which can be controlled via the Prodigy's CV out.

But, even without the audio input mod, you'll have an extra oscillator that is very useful for modulation purposes (and different than LFO modulation). Likewise, the LFO output on the MF102 will provide an extra LFO.

On my MF102, despite what it says in the manual, I'm able to use the pedal input while still using the CV jacks. So you control the rate of the LFO, or Oscillator Frequency with a foot pedal while sending either/both to the Prodigy's Filter, Oscillator or Sync. This kind of control is very useful in live performance situations: you can modify several parameters at once with hands and feet. The oscillator out on the MF102 will modulate the Osc. Sync just as the performance wheel does. It's pretty cool.

The CP251 is also a very useful addition to the Prodigy. You'll get a noise source and Sample and Hold.

Keith collins

Post by Keith collins » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:12 am

the cp251 is the next thing i'll be getting.
and then the murf.

thanks again for your help... all this connecting "CV jacks" and "LFO's" is still a little new to me, but i can't think of a better way to spend my time and money.

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:37 pm

you should read the cp 251 manual if you haven't

it's a good read and it really explains the whole idea of CV

till

Re: connecting MF-102 to prodigy question...

Post by till » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:07 am

The S-trigger input of vintage Moog synths is NOT a voltage input. It is triggered by shorting the two contact. So every pedal switch will work, but not a voltage generated by an LFO. You need a V-trig to S-trig converter. In facht this is just a transistor and one or two resistors. Synthesizers.com sell them for example.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16