cc#value in midi setting

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
whitedogbanana

cc#value in midi setting

Post by whitedogbanana » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am

Hi - new to this forum and hope someone can help me with setting up a midi controller :)

I recently bought a midi controller for my Cluster Flux and Super Delay. The plan is the create pre-sets of my favourite settings so that I can switch them on the fly. I am very new to midi and am learning slowly. What is the most efficient to way to set up the cc value of multiple parameters (cc#) to get the sound I need via midi?

I am thinking of approaching it this way:
1. tweak the knobs on the pedal to dial in an effect/sound that I want
2. Once I get the sound, for each knob find the corresponding cc#
3 in terms of cc value since it goes from 0-127, if the knob is at noon I'll put the value at 127*.05=63; if the knob is at 3 o'clock I'll put the value at 127*.075=95 and so on

This is the only approach I can come up with given my little knowledge. It does feel like a time-consuming task and I was hoping someone can share a better way of doing it?

Thanks

Vsyevolod

Re: cc#value in midi setting

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:28 pm

Not having done this myself, I would guess that you're pretty much going about it the correct way. One thing I would refine in your example is that since the knobs only go from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock, 3 o'clock is not halfway between 63 and 127, it's more like 3/5's of the way there. For every 'hour' that the knob changes, increase the MIDI CC by 12.8 (or just round that up to 13).

You could also take a 'screen shot' of your front panel by sending all the info from the Fooger to your computer via MIDI and then having a program like MIDIOX decipher this. Again not having done this myself, I'm only guessing here.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum.

Stephen

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:38 am

Welcome to the forum :)

An alternative of doing this is to configure your MIDI controller and search the sound you like from the controller itself rather than moving the MoogerFooger knobs. This way you just have to save the configuration (or patch or whatever it is) for the next time.

I haven’t used MIDI this way a lot, but provided loading a configuration (or patch or…) sends the whole MIDI CC# values, you should be able to use presets with your MoogerFooger.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:14 pm

Welcome!

I suppose the first thing to do is to figure out if your midi controller is capable of sending multiple CC's when it's program is changed. Many controllers only send one or two, maybe 4 CC's on a program change. So the trick might be multiple program changes, or a progression of program changes to send all the CC's you want to change. Some of the more complex controllers allow you to send a whole string of CC values based on an event.

If you have a DAW or an iDevice and hardware to send MIDI, you could use the software to set your settings - meaning that in the DAW or software, you would see the value that the controller is set to, without trying to guess based on knob position.

You basically have two things to figure out: first, how to send the "preset" message. Look to the forums and interwebz about your controller, ignoring what the device is that other users are controlling (since it doesn't matter!)

Next, figure out the preset settings values, once you know how to send them.

Edit: I also just did a quick read in the manual, and you can also send MSB / LSB CC messages - basically 0-127 or 0-16383. The second option provides more precise control over the value you actually want, so using your controller to send LSB values would be ideal if you are being picky about needing a setting between 62 & 63 for example.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

tunesbyted

Post by tunesbyted » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:52 am

Alien8 wrote:Some of the more complex controllers allow you to send a whole string of CC values based on an event.
Would you be able to recommend an iOS app for this purpose? I'm not looking for real time touch control over CCs, like TouchOSC. Just a librarian to store presets of multiple program change and CC values across multiple MIDI channels (104M, 105M & 108M).

Thanks!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:An alternative of doing this is to configure your MIDI controller and search the sound you like from the controller itself rather than moving the MoogerFooger knobs. This way you just have to save the configuration (or patch or whatever it is) for the next time.
stiiiiiiive For The Win!
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Andy C

Post by Andy C » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:20 am

What midi controller(s) are capable of saving and recalling Clusterflux presets?

MichaelDef

cc#value in midi setting

Post by MichaelDef » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:44 am

Hi
Id like to if its possible for a midi cc to be initialized to a value like 64, for instance.
In fact, when the FH-1 is turned on, Id like the smoothing already to 64. I dont find that in the script.
"Init to mid-range" doesnt seem to have the effect Im looking for.

Thank you

vongon

Post by vongon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Hello!

Just wanted to chime in that I make a midi controller exactly for this purpose. They are preconfigured to work out of the box with either the MF-104 or MF-108. Very useful for saving / recalling presets and performing live. The video linked below shows how to operate the midi controller and gives some suggestions for different creative ways to use it. Would love to hear what you think of it!

I make these by hand and currently have about 9 ready to ship.

demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGnVd1EHBIs
more info @ https://www.vongon.com/
Attachments
01-front-perspective-iphone.jpg