CP and expression pedal questions

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Spank

CP and expression pedal questions

Post by Spank » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:29 pm

a) would the expression pedal be essentially like the CP in which it acts like a third hand? while the CP does this without the manual use of your foot to change the nobs?

b) can the CP change the parameters of two settings on a slider-based pedal like the EHX Microsynthesizer?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi

I'm guessing you're refering to "CP" as the CP-251 control processor. An expression pedal is exactly like a third hand, because it is set up so that rocking the pedal essentially changes the position of the knob.

A way in which the "CP" can change a knob position (automatically) is with an LFO. The difference is that the LFO (on a single rate setting) will produce the same flucuation over time, but an expression pedal is completely controlled by your foot.

I'm not sure if the EHX microsynth has CV (control voltage) inputs. Check on the back for any additional inputs than audio ones.

If you want simultaneous control of two parameters, (providing your equipment can be run off CV signals) you can use multiples or "mults." A mult takes one source and splits it into more than one output signal, i.e. makes copies of it. The source could well be an expression pedal or an LFO. The CP-251 can do this, and even has its own LFOs.

Spank

Post by Spank » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:35 pm

latigid on wrote:Hi

I'm guessing you're refering to "CP" as the CP-251 control processor. An expression pedal is exactly like a third hand, because it is set up so that rocking the pedal essentially changes the position of the knob.

A way in which the "CP" can change a knob position (automatically) is with an LFO. The difference is that the LFO (on a single rate setting) will produce the same flucuation over time, but an expression pedal is completely controlled by your foot.

I'm not sure if the EHX microsynth has CV (control voltage) inputs. Check on the back for any additional inputs than audio ones.

If you want simultaneous control of two parameters, (providing your equipment can be run off CV signals) you can use multiples or "mults." A mult takes one source and splits it into more than one output signal, i.e. makes copies of it. The source could well be an expression pedal or an LFO. The CP-251 can do this, and even has its own LFOs.
thanks, i was getting a little confused when the term CV gets thrown around.

sorry for the n00b questions here, but what's an LFO?

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:09 pm

LFO stands for "Low Frequency Oscillator." It an audio wave that is too low to be heard by human ears and is low in frequency, making it useful for a modulation tool. It is used to modulate a variety of things such as pitch, cutoff, resonance, etc. Like a CV an LFO is like an invisible hand that turns controls for you. On some synths standard oscillators can be used as LFOs (such as the Voyager's Osc. 3). Many synths have one or more standalone LFOs. Because it is an audio wave it is cyclical in nature, but can be subject to modulation by other LFOs or CVs.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Spank

Post by Spank » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:43 am

MarkM wrote:LFO stands for "Low Frequency Oscillator." It an audio wave that is too low to be heard by human ears and is low in frequency, making it useful for a modulation tool. It is used to modulate a variety of things such as pitch, cutoff, resonance, etc. Like a CV an LFO is like an invisible hand that turns controls for you. On some synths standard oscillators can be used as LFOs (such as the Voyager's Osc. 3). Many synths have one or more standalone LFOs. Because it is an audio wave it is cyclical in nature, but can be subject to modulation by other LFOs or CVs.
thanks alot! i understand the basics now.