another moogerfooger low pass filter question!

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Spank

another moogerfooger low pass filter question!

Post by Spank » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:58 am

1) i don't know if any of you have seen or tried this, but the EHX Microsynth has four filter sweep filters on it, two of them the start and end frequency filters. i'm just wondering what are the equivalent of these two functions on a moogerfooger low pass filter?

2) can an expression pedal control two settings at a time or do i need to buy two expression pedals to do that?

3) Can a moogerfooger low pass filter do this sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JWCoXTo ... pe%20alive

what kind of fuzz/etc would i need to get to accompany the low pass filter to do this type of sound?

thanks in advance!

lg

Re: another moogerfooger low pass filter question!

Post by lg » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:09 am

Deke wrote:2) can an expression pedal control two settings at a time or do i need to buy two expression pedals to do that?
an expression pedal connected to the mf-101 backpanel jacks can control the cutoff frequency, mix, resonance or envelope amount parameters, but only one at a time; i would recommend getting two (but in practice i often find myself jumping betwen my two expression pedals, a couple of volume pedals, and various switches, so adjust your desired level of complexity to taste). if you also have the cp-251, you can mult and mix any patch to either send signals to different destinations, or combine signals from different sources (among many other things); this would allow the kind of flexibility you're talking about with just one pedal. the addition of a cp-251 to my setup has opened up many new possibilities, of which so far i've really only scratched the surface.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:10 am

can an expression pedal control two settings at a time or do i need to buy two expression pedals to do that?
This can be done with one pedal, but a passive multiple must be used.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Spank

Post by Spank » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:54 pm

analoghaze wrote:
can an expression pedal control two settings at a time or do i need to buy two expression pedals to do that?
This can be done with one pedal, but a passive multiple must be used.
what's a passive multiple?

sorry, i'm extremely new to the synthesizer realm here :(

Spank

Post by Spank » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:55 pm

lg wrote:
Deke wrote:2) can an expression pedal control two settings at a time or do i need to buy two expression pedals to do that?
an expression pedal connected to the mf-101 backpanel jacks can control the cutoff frequency, mix, resonance or envelope amount parameters, but only one at a time; i would recommend getting two (but in practice i often find myself jumping betwen my two expression pedals, a couple of volume pedals, and various switches, so adjust your desired level of complexity to taste). if you also have the cp-251, you can mult and mix any patch to either send signals to different destinations, or combine signals from different sources (among many other things); this would allow the kind of flexibility you're talking about with just one pedal. the addition of a cp-251 to my setup has opened up many new possibilities, of which so far i've really only scratched the surface.
to use the CP to combine signals and whatnot, would it a) be practicle with a guitar setup and b) is it exclusively only for the moogerfoogers or can i use different pedals like a MXR phase 90?

lg

Post by lg » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:59 am

Deke wrote:to use the CP to combine signals and whatnot, would it a) be practicle with a guitar setup and b) is it exclusively only for the moogerfoogers or can i use different pedals like a MXR phase 90?
practicality for guitar all depends on the degree to which you are comfortable with lots of pieces of kit & cable lying around. i.e., i find for my playing i like to have most of my pedals on a table in front of me, so it presupposes not having a 'typical' guitarist's rig: pedalboard on the floor, rack-mount gear behind you next to amp, etc.; keep in mind the idea behind this gear is to 'play' it, rather than set it and forget it (although there are definitely patches using the 251 that are interesting enough to do that with). the 251 requires patch cords, thus having it on the floor is ergonomically not optimal. having said that, i think the 251 in combo with other foogers is a great addition to a guitarist's repertoire, as the units seem to have been designed with guitarists in mind (i think you become a sort of hybrid player- part guitarist, part modular synthesist).

the only thing i've noticed so far with the 251 is that i spend a lot of time both patching and re-patching (and subsequently twirling knobs with my newfound discoveries). unless you play (or record) solo, you may alienate your bandmates (not always a bad thing!), if they aren't of similar knob-twirling bent. i play with someone who also has cv-controlled gear, so we are working on ways to 'infect/inflect' each other's playing via the 251...

you can't use the 251 directly with non-cv controlled pedals (like an mxr phase 90), although you can certainly use standard pedals in the signal chain before and after your foogers, and the resulting signals will be affected by the 251's interaction with your cv gear. hopefully that makes sense...