Need To complete Analog setup

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
BobbyD-NYC

Need To complete Analog setup

Post by BobbyD-NYC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:43 am

Hello friends,

I have a studio running Ableton with about 6 different controllers. Learning MIDI was not easy as I am a guitarist of 40 years (54 years old) . Earlier this year, the urge to learn keys hit me and I splurged for a Sub 37. That was all it took.

I addition to the Sub 37, I have two MoogerFooger pedals which is 103 phaser and 104m SD. I picked that up in super mint condition like never used with box and instructions for $1080. These are pieces of gear I will have for life. I also have a CP-251 even though the analog world is still brand new for me. Learning about CV,.LFO filters, expression pedals is all freaken awesome. . I dig it.

I am getting a Dave Smith Prophet 6 so I have a polyphonic analog keyboard.

Question is last gear to finish analog side of studio. Does it make sense to get the MoogerFooger Cluster Flux and Ring Modulator. I also see they have a low pass filter but I am thinking this may be redundant with Sub 37.

Finally I want a drum machine even though I do Finger Drumming on Push 2 for those of you familiar with Ableton. . I have ruled out the Tempest for the cost and learning curve. Same with and Elekron units.

So I am down to the new Analog Artuia Brute which sells for $449 or Roland TR-8 which I know is digital but gets great reviews.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

I like Techno and all types of music blues, funk classical, metal etc. I also have a wireless midi guitar controller which is pretty amazing and will allow me to control the Moog the Dave Smith Poly.

Thanks for any advice.

And yes, I am officially broke but my studio kicks and that makes me happy. Life is too short.

Kirneh Ness

Re: Need To complete Analog setup

Post by Kirneh Ness » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:29 pm

The ring modulator never ceases to amaze me. I think I will never exhaust the possibilities of sonic craziness and sanity this unit offers. It would be my first choice.

The MF-108 is wonderful as well, but one could argue that you have some of its features in the delay. But again, it gives flange sounds you cannot get with the delay. And the chorus is beautiful (and you have stereo out) - it is almost as lovely as my 1980s Ibanez stereo chorus, but with an abundance of manipulation possibilities. It would be my second choice. (Unfortunately no LFO out)

The low-pass filter is great for guitar. Note that it has envelope out. So you could run, say, a drum track into the unit and get the beat as CV, which thereby can give you sync in terms of control voltage.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

BobbyD-NYC

Post by BobbyD-NYC » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Kirneh Ness wrote:The ring modulator never ceases to amaze me. I think I will never exhaust the possibilities of sonic craziness and sanity this unit offers. It would be my first choice.

The MF-108 is wonderful as well, but one could argue that you have some of its features in the delay. But again, it gives flange sounds you cannot get with the delay. And the chorus is beautiful (and you have stereo out) - it is almost as lovely as my 1980s Ibanez stereo chorus, but with an abundance of manipulation possibilities. It would be my second choice. (Unfortunately no LFO out)

The low-pass filter is great for guitar. Note that it has envelope out. So you could run, say, a drum track into the unit and get the beat as CV, which thereby can give you sync in terms of control voltage.
Thanks for response. I am ordering both cluster flux and ring modulator tomorrow along with prophet 6. All I need is a drum machine and was all set on the new analog Artuia Brute analog but came across this new collaboration with Dave Smith & Pioneer. I think the work flow may be really cool and having Dave Smith Analog filters on this makes me think this could be a monster machine. I know Dave makes the Temepst in collab with Rodger Linn Tempest but I have been warned that there is a deep learning curve and I have other areas I would rather be practicing.

I see you have used a lot of different drum machines. What do you think of this new unit? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... gn20161110

Thanks for any feedback

weary

Post by weary » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:06 am

As for me MF-108M absolutely awesome with acoustic instruments and percussion. I don't like to use it with synths. I think that good reverb is a deal for you. Something like strymon's skyes or analog springs, Ekdahl Moisturizer for example.

I use two drum machines korg volca beats with snare mod and vermona drm1mk3. And I love vermona so much for her metallic overtones, but I hate drm's bass drum. And here comes volca with her penetrating BD!
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M