Guitar synth -> MIDI-to-CV -> Ring mod carrier

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:57 am

I have a guitar equipped with a Roland MIDI pickup and a Roland GI-20 that gives me MIDI data. I'm curious if I can use a MIDI to CV converter to control the carrier on my Moog Ring Mod. The goal is to process the natural guitar sound with the ring mod and only use the MIDI pickup to get control voltages. Ideally, I'd like the ring mod carrier frequency to track the guitar pitch perfectly so that I could keep the ring mod output in tune with the guitar while using any of the chromatic notes. I'm pretty sure the control would work, but I'm curious how well it would work. Would the Ring Mod track the pitch well or am I asking for a headache?

The natural other question is if I can use the same guitar/midi-pickup/midi-cv setup to control the low pass filter when it is self resonating. How well would that track the pitch?

Thanks,
Bryan

peter ripa

Post by peter ripa » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:03 am

you can but you will need an attenuator for the cv since the 102 doesnt scale 1 v/oct. it is linear though. ive used cv-out from my voyager thru 351 (to attenuate) to get my 102 in tune with my voyager
www.peterripa.com
http://www.peterripa.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=musik

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:21 pm

Yeah but with the new MOTM-650 Midi to CV you can tune your own scale.

http://www.synthtech.com/m650/m650guide.pdf

Michael Glaviano

Post by Michael Glaviano » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Brian,

I think the answer is "you'll have to experiement". I posted a similar question a few months back and eventually decided my best bet was to build a PAiA MIDI-to-CV kit. This is my first complicated electronics project and while it is fun, I have *no* idea if it'll actually function the way I want it to.

The PAiA is set up by default to output CV in Moog standard.

Good luck, and please let us know what you settle on.
aka Amigo van Helical
Northern Colorado

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Thanks for the replies. In thinking about this some more, I definitely think experimenting is going to be in order. It occurred to me that I have no idea how the combination of devices would respond to a polyphonic signal or if there is a way to limit the MIDI signal so that it is monophonic. I'm assuming there is, but I'll need to dig into the GI-20 manual to see.

I was looking at the Kenton Pro-Solo, as it seems reasonably priced. Does anyone have experience with this midi-to-cv converter? Are there any other options I should consider in the < $200 price range?

Thanks again,
Bryan

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Once again the MOTM 650 kicks @$$ over the Kenton Pro-Solo.

Microtonal scaling

1vt to oct.

Pitch to HZ (if you have Korg synths)

2 ARPEGGIATORS !

Can be set to Duophonic and behave like a Arp Oddesey.

Can make a 4 voice Polyphonic synth.

Plus a bunch of other things that I'm just figuring out.

They are shipping. I just received one of the first 11!

Here's the instructions...

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:32 pm

sir_dss wrote:Yeah but with the new MOTM-650 Midi to CV you can tune your own scale. And save it as a preset.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:15 am

sir_dss wrote:Once again the MOTM 650 kicks @$$ over the Kenton Pro-Solo.
I'd hope that it would, being that it is $500! It seems like it would be total overkill for my purposes, though it does look like it is very cool.

Bryan

asd

Post by asd » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:27 pm

i'm really interested in hearing how this works out for you. i'm a guitarist and would really like to find some sort of (affordable and not completely impracticle) way of converting pitch to cv. although at this point i wouldn't be too picky about meticulous accurate tracking.

yfalmagne

Re: Guitar synth -> MIDI-to-CV -> Ring mod carrier

Post by yfalmagne » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Bringin back on old post here. Just got my MF_102 carrier osc tracking in tune.

Here's what I did:

MP-201 [MIDI to CV] channel (scale = .710, unipolar) to CP-251 Attentuator (+5, fully CW) to Ring Mod FREQ in.
Carrier osc set to HI at 9 o'clock...fine tuning takes a little finesse. This is tracking perfectly in tune across 4-5 octaves!

You can then detune it to 3rds, 5ths, Octaves, or whatever to get some interesting timbres that will stay constant as you play your midi keyboard, guitar synth, sequencer, etc....

For those moments when you want a ring mod, but don't quite (yet) want to abandon the good old western scale system.

Anyone else out there putting this to good use??

Y

yesman

Re: Guitar synth -> MIDI-to-CV -> Ring mod carrier

Post by yesman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Hey,
New to the Mooger Fooger world, I figured I would respond to this post as a continuation of MIDI/CV control of the MFs. I have a Voyager & MP-201, and I just won an MF-101 from Moog, nice holiday surprise! So, I've gone over the edge and bought an MF-102, CP-251 & VX-351... I was playing my Chapman Stick thru the MF-101 and thinking it would be great if I could send a CV to the MF so the filter would track the notes I was playing. I do not have MIDI gear on the stick, so out of luck I thought. Then I saw this new software from JamOrigin on the Sickist forum. It is a guitar to MIDI converter that works from the output of a standard guitar pick-up and it's polyphonic! So, i got the progarm installed and runs fine in Cubase. Now I can grt a MIDI note message send that to the MP, convert that note message to a CV, send that to the MFs and now they will track the notes from the stick. This is a monophonic config. but it opens a whole new area for me, let alone playing the Voyager and my collection of V synths from the stick.