playing the FreqBox vco...

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
dazeja

Re: playing the FreqBox vco...

Post by dazeja » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Liquid Guy wrote:Ok, so is there any "off the shelf" product or kit that has a sequencer AND a vca?
I know, I'm coming into this conversation late, but I'm confused why I don't see the obvious answer to his question.

All you need is another cheap monophonic synth that has an audio -in while also having a Cv-pitch out, with a keyboard. Ie. Microbrute, Minibrute, etc.

These have a sequencer and vca and will take advantage of the Freq boxes osc. The microbrute is the cheapest out of all of them.

Here's a link at how to connect it. https://youtu.be/c_IEBT5Ex-I?t=32s

Like the other guys said an analog sequencer isn't going to do you any good without an Envolope.

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:53 pm

dazeja wrote: All you need is another cheap monophonic synth that has an audio -in while also having a Cv-pitch out, with a keyboard. Ie. Microbrute, Minibrute, etc.
This is what I would have thought also, but one should be aware that the MicroBrute and MiniBrute send out up to 10V. If the FreqBox is like all other moog modular gear (max 5V), this could be damaging. I am getting a FreqBox soon, but I don't dare put in my Minibrute. There're of course attentuators, but rarely you know how much they actually attenuate. So I am getting a Dark Link to do the midi-keyboard to cv conversion.
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

bfrombmore

Post by bfrombmore » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 pm

With the Werkstatt audio input you can use it as a VCA to play the Moogerfoogers (MF107, MF102, and MF101). I've done something similar where I'm using either Reaktor Blocks, or Expert Sleepers Silent Way plugins to tune/ calibrate the VCO of the Freqbox (or carrier of the Ring Mod) routed to the input of a Slim Phatty. One significant note is that the tuning of the VCO must be done with the signal path complete because once you introduce something else into the signal path the voltage needed for the VCO tuning changes. So to recap, CV out to Freq in of MF107, VCO out to external synth audio in (Werkstatt or Slim Phatty in my case), and gate out to Keyboard in of external synth, tune/ calibrate and then play.

Cheers.