MF 107 Freq Sync Question

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
michaelerinwoody

MF 107 Freq Sync Question

Post by michaelerinwoody » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:24 pm

I am new to the MF107 Freq - What I am interested in doing is playing a note into the MF107 and to have the MF107 modulate the incoming note (bass) at the same frequency or the note that I am playing. Is this possible with this device? How would you set it up? Just simply turn the sync on?

In other words can the device track the pitch in real time as the same pitch?

thanks for the help for a new user!

michael :mrgreen:

latigid on

Re: MF 107 Freq Sync Question

Post by latigid on » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:43 am

As far as I can make out, the Freqbox incorporates a few different modules: a VCO, an envelope follower, a VCA (normally connected to the envelope) and a PLL (phase-locked loop).

When "sync" is on (somewhat of a misnomer) the PLL will attempt to compare the frequency of the source input and use that to control the pitch of the VCO. For "best" results, the initial VCO frequency should be higher than the source or increased using the env. amount [to VCO] control.

It's the VCO which is affected, not the "incoming note." DSP pitch shifters work on a principle of sampling audio, deriving the pitch, applying shift, then finally digital to analogue conversion.

Hope that helps.