MF-102 Ring Mod / is there a built in noise gate?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
McraneV

MF-102 Ring Mod / is there a built in noise gate?

Post by McraneV » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:33 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post, and I'm glad to be here.

I searched a bit around the forum but couldn't find an answer to an issue I'm having with the MF-102 Ring Mod. I'm running it off of a Radial XTC 500-series module that changes my line level to hi-z which I then run through guitar pedals. The last pedal on the chain is the Moog ring mod, and I've noticed on the ends of delay trails I can hear a subtle crackling before what sounds like an internal gate activates and cuts off the tail end of the delay trail. It is ever so slight, but I can hear it none the less, as the ends of delay trails tend to be some of the more open parts of the music I'm working on.

I'm running it off a Furman M-8x2 power conditioner, and I'm using the Moog power adaptor. I've checked the other pedals in the chain, and it is definitely the moogerfooger. Anyone have experience with this issue? Know any work arounds?

Thanks so much!
Martin

latigid on

Re: MF-102 Ring Mod / is there a built in noise gate?

Post by latigid on » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:26 am

Yep, normal. There's a squelch circuit that prevents carrier bleed.

McraneV

Post by McraneV » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Do you know if there's a way to bypass that? I'm running it with pretty clean signals so noise isn't a huge deal, and I love the way the ring imprints a wobbly tremolo on long sweeping delays (until it starts crackling)

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:19 am

Not that I know of, there's a few threads discussing dynamics processors like compressors etc. but I think it's a limitation of the hardware. If you call Moog they might be able to help you adjust it?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:39 pm

McraneV wrote:Do you know if there's a way to bypass that?
Attachments
Bypassed_the_Compressor.jpg
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:51 pm

I went down this hole using the MF102 with guitar. Trying to milk the 102 for its luscious tremolo sounds, I presume? It's possible...though a good compressor pedal might be your best bet. I was a little bummed at first with the thought of needing another pedal on all the time to get it right. But it does help a lot. Also, don't be shy with the Drive knob. As a guitar player I'm always wary of boosting the signal and keeping things as clean as possible. But the MF102's drive can be pretty transparent...until it's not.

Eventually I kind of accepted it for what it is. It would have been nice to use it as a 2 for 1 ring mod AND tremolo pedal. It's true does sound fantastic and honestly it was what originally drew me to 102 in the first place. But at the end of the day I use trem enough (my old Fender amp even has a built in one though it can be temperamental) that it was just worth it to have something just for that purpose.

Strymon Flint or the Fulltone Supratrem will get you where you want to be without trying to turn the MF102 into the world's most complicated trem pedal. Good luck! And...Sorry if I mistook your post'S intention.