Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
FourLegsGood
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by FourLegsGood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:35 pm

I purchased the EHX 8 Step sequencer which is great but I'd like to create a complex setup that runs multiple sequences in tandem to different 'foogers while *ideally* being able to save patches. Does such a thing exist? The best I've seen is a rack mount Oberheim sequencer that can run three different sequences at once but offers no patch saving (and runs $700)
Surely the best answer isn't to buy 7 or 8 EHX sequencers and sync the midi clocks for each?!


FourLegsGood
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:32 pm

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by FourLegsGood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:35 pm

That looks like it'd work!
I guess it'd be too much to ask to find something aesthetically similar to my Moog stuff ;-)

User avatar
_DemonDan_
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am

Still not the right color scheme, but consider the Arturia BeatStep Pro:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BeatStepPro
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

electronicpoison
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Hamburg

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by electronicpoison » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 am

Look the sequencer from Koma Elektronik

User avatar
latigid on
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by latigid on » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:52 pm

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=komplex-sequencer

Image



Multiple sequences: check
Patch storage: check
Similar aesthetics to Moog: somewhat check

3.5mm jack connectors: check
over $700: check


Or did you mean this one:
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=ft ... -sequencer
?

captainkidd
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by captainkidd » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:58 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:Still not the right color scheme, but consider the Arturia BeatStep Pro:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BeatStepPro



Check out what jsharpphoto did with his where he posted a couple photos on page 81 of the "Post your latest purchase!!" thread:
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12969&hilit=latest&start=1200. They are panels from Style Flip. I am thinking about getting them myself.

SelectivePressure
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by SelectivePressure » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:19 pm


User avatar
Kirneh Ness
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:58 pm
Location: Denmark, Europe

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by Kirneh Ness » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:50 am

captainkidd wrote:
_DemonDan_ wrote:Still not the right color scheme, but consider the Arturia BeatStep Pro:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BeatStepPro



Check out what jsharpphoto did with his where he posted a couple photos on page 81 of the "Post your latest purchase!!" thread:
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12969&hilit=latest&start=1200. They are panels from Style Flip. I am thinking about getting them myself.


Are there any news on the issue of BSP potentially frying a moog - including Moogerfoogers, which maximally takes 5v? I am getting a BSP, and would love to use the cvs with my Minitaur and MFs, but since the BSP goes to 10v, I would be rather safe than sorry.

It seems to me that people converge on the necessity of some degree of attenuation. Cables or DIY boxes. As I think e.g. KOMA cables appear a bit imprecise and as I am hopeless at soldering, I am lost. I am quite surprised that one cannot get small attenuator boxes commercially. There is of course ones like this http://www.doepfer.de/a1832.htm for Eurorack, but even though their price appears decent, it will bring along lots of extra costs, and I probably should have three. :?

PS: The color scheme is really cool.
Guitars, Moog Grandmother, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1, microKORG XL.

User avatar
GregAE
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:44 pm
Location: In the studio, of course

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by GregAE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:46 am

Kirneh Ness wrote:It seems to me that people converge on the necessity of some degree of attenuation. Cables or DIY boxes. As I think e.g. KOMA cables appear a bit imprecise and as I am hopeless at soldering, I am lost. I am quite surprised that one cannot get small attenuator boxes commercially. There is of course ones like this http://www.doepfer.de/a1832.htm for Eurorack, but even though their price appears decent, it will bring along lots of extra costs, and I probably should have three. :?

Well there is this little self-contained device:

moogerfooger_cp-251_control processor.jpg

:wink:

User avatar
Kirneh Ness
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:58 pm
Location: Denmark, Europe

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by Kirneh Ness » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:49 am

GregAE wrote:Well there is this little self-contained device:

moogerfooger_cp-251_control processor.jpg

:wink:

Sure!! I have one already :D . But I would need two more if I would control my Minitaur with BSP cv out (so far I use the midi, and it works fine, so it is not a biggie). And for current purposes two more beauties are not on the table. I may then rather go the Doepfer road (but I hesitate: It is opening up for a new path of endless possibilities).
Guitars, Moog Grandmother, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1, microKORG XL.

User avatar
GregAE
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:44 pm
Location: In the studio, of course

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by GregAE » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:37 am

Kirneh Ness wrote: ...I may then rather go the Doepfer road (but I hesitate: It is opening up for a new path of endless possibilities).


Maybe consider this 5X attenuator from Analog Craftsman:
http://analogcraftsman.com/?product=5x- ... escription

The standard model sounds like exactly what you are looking for, and provides 1/4" jacks (in the larger 5U 'Moog Unit' format) instead of 1/8" (3U Eurorack).

User avatar
Kirneh Ness
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:58 pm
Location: Denmark, Europe

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by Kirneh Ness » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:02 pm

GregAE wrote:
Maybe consider this 5X attenuator from Analog Craftsman:
http://analogcraftsman.com/?product=5x- ... escription

The standard model sounds like exactly what you are looking for, and provides 1/4" jacks (in the larger 5U 'Moog Unit' format) instead of 1/8" (3U Eurorack).


Thanks! The format is definitely more to my taste. Still, it seems to be a unit to be installed in a box. But very good suggestion!
Last edited by Kirneh Ness on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guitars, Moog Grandmother, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1, microKORG XL.

User avatar
GregAE
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:44 pm
Location: In the studio, of course

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by GregAE » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Kirneh Ness wrote:Thanks! The format is definitely more to my taste. Still, it seems to be a unit to be installed in a box. But very good suggestion!


Actually, the attenuator doesn't have to be installed in a box. As a quick & easy Saturday afternoon project, I took a couple of passive Synthesizers.com modules and a scrap piece of 1" x 2" and created a custom little Euro/5U Converter. Sawing the wood into two pieces (sized for the modules), I made a top and bottom rail that the modules screw into. I painted the wood black before assembly, and then used a labelmaker to create the legending at the top. Finally, I put some self-stick feet on the bottom of the rails to keep the assembly from sliding around:

Interface.jpg


Except for the cost of the module, you could do something similar for very little money... :D

User avatar
Kirneh Ness
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:58 pm
Location: Denmark, Europe

Re: Best Sequencer for Multiple Moogerfoogers?

Post by Kirneh Ness » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 pm

GregAE wrote:
Kirneh Ness wrote:Thanks! The format is definitely more to my taste. Still, it seems to be a unit to be installed in a box. But very good suggestion!


Actually, the attenuator doesn't have to be installed in a box. As a quick & easy Saturday afternoon project, I took a couple of passive Synthesizers.com modules and a scrap piece of 1" x 2" and created a custom little Euro/5U Converter. Sawing the wood into two pieces (sized for the modules), I made a top and bottom rail that the modules screw into. I painted the wood black before assembly, and then used a labelmaker to create the legending at the top. Finally, I put some self-stick feet on the bottom of the rails to keep the assembly from sliding around:

Interface.jpg


Except for the cost of the module, you could do something similar for very little money... :D


Beautiful! Just beautiful!!!

EDIT: In recognition of my poor craftsmanship, I folded and bought Eurorack modules
ImageImage
(along with Doepfer's noise generator and the dual s/h). The Pittsburg acts as an attenuator.
Guitars, Moog Grandmother, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1, microKORG XL.

Post Reply