Cluster Fux Redundancy?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Jsxtal

Cluster Fux Redundancy?

Post by Jsxtal » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Hey all,
1st post here,
long time moogerfooger user with mainly Bass.
I just bought a cluster flux, which i Love! but i got to thinking, if i want to add a delay to my board, and i got the MF-104 analog delay w/LFO, would i be able to get all of the same sounds i do with the Cluster flux in the chorus/Flange arena?
i might be completely missing something here, so i thought this forum would be the place to get a fistful of knowledge from.
thanks
-J

_DemonDan_

Re: Cluster Fux Redundancy?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:27 am

Jsxtal wrote:I just bought a Cluster Flux, which i Love! But i got to thinking, if i want to add a delay to my board, and i got the MF-104M analog delay w/LFO, would i be able to get all of the same sounds i do with the Cluster Flux in the Chorus/Flange arena?
Hi Jsxtal,

You are correct in thinking that there are areas of sonic overlap.

Here are a few differences that may/may not be important to you:

The MF-108M Cluster Flux has Stereo Outputs. The MF-104M Analog Delay has a MIX Out and a DELAY Out.

The shortest Delay Time on the Cluster Flux is 0.6 milliseconds, which is important for creating the variety of Flange effects.

The shortest Delay Time on the MF-104M is 40 milliseconds (which is 66.6 times longer than the MF-108M) and already deep into Chorus territory.

So... if you really don't care about Flange (Mono or Stereo), or Stereo Chorus, and don't mind being on the longer side of Chorus Delay Times, then the MF-104M could serve both of your purposes (if you can find/pay for one).

Since your primary sound source is Bass, I think there are more sonic opportunities with Chorus/Flange than with long Delays.

Watch my video to learn how to seriously extend the Delay Times of the MF-108M. Although the fidelity is "gritty", you might actually like it enough to stick with the Cluster Flux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CpkKZDWeXQ (Delay Time Multiplier starts after 7:00)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Jsxtal

Re: Cluster Fux Redundancy?

Post by Jsxtal » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:34 pm

@ Demon Dan
Thank you! this answers my question! and you are correct in thinking that ill have more use of the flange/chorus options. Thats what i was worried about losing if i were to switch. I was exploring my cluster flux last night some more and keep finding incredible solo tones. definitely not going to sell it now. I've tried many a chorus/flange, and the closest I've come to really great jazz fusion solo bass tones is the Lexicon plugin for Logic. Even that is a little difficult for dialing up sounds due to the amount of options crammed into it. the 108 is really intuitive for finding and exploring its rich tones and the amount of depth they offer.

I definitely still want a moogerfooger delay, but might be considering a 104Z now because of price and i believe i could make use of the fx loop feature.

ill check out your link too as i was wondering about the lengthening of the delay after seeing it done to a 104
-J