connecting Midid Murf via the MIDI Thru omn my voyager XL

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
davidedwards

connecting Midid Murf via the MIDI Thru omn my voyager XL

Post by davidedwards » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:10 am

Hi!,

So I'm wanting to connect my midi murf to my Voyager XL via the MIDI Thru and for some reason it's not working. I've actually never tried using MIDI Thru for anything, so if anyone could at least point me in the right direction that would be great. I go into Utilities and then click on Audio MIDI Setup, My MOTU UltraliteMK3Hybrid interface shows up and so does the Moog, but even though I have the MIDI Murf plugged into the MIDI port on the Voyager it still doesn't seem to work. It's plugged in to the MIDI Thru. And I know that I'm supposed to put both of these on separate MIDI channels. There's 16 of them) Im just not sure how. I was going to do pictures, but I was having trouble uploading them. So, if anyone could give a response that would be extremely helpful!

Stuka

Re: connecting Midid Murf via the MIDI Thru omn my voyager X

Post by Stuka » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:00 pm

We're probably going to need some clarification on what exactly you can or can't do -
When you say "I have the MIDI Murf plugged into the MIDI port on the Voyager it still doesn't seem to work" -
What exactly isn't working? What MIDI feature are you trying to control, and how are you trying to control it (software, external controller, etc.)?

Your Voyager manual should explain how to set the MIDI channel and operation of the MIDI ports on the Voyager.
Keep in mind that a MIDI Thru usually just passes the same MIDI messages that are being received at the MIDI In port, so MIDI In on the Voyager needs to be enabled.

As far as setting the MIDI channel on the Murf -
Page 16 of the MIDI Murf owners manual talks you thru a couple of different ways to do that.

EDIT:
Adding to Dan's post below ~

If you are trying to control the Murf's MIDI features WITH the Voyager, you would use the Voyager MIDI Out, with the Voyager and Murf set to the same MIDI channel.

If you are trying to control the Murf's MIDI features with some other device or software, but just using the Voyager as a MIDI connection point, you would use the Voyager MIDI Thru, with the Voyager and Murf set to different MIDI channels so you can control both Moog devices separately via MIDI.
Last edited by Stuka on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 pm

davidedwards wrote:So I'm wanting to connect my MIDI MuRF to my Voyager XL via the MIDI Thru and for some reason it's not working.
{Hi Stuka, we apparently both answered within a minute
of each other, so I didn't see you reply until later.}

Hi davidedwards,

To be clear, the definition of MIDI THRU is "an exact copy of what's going into the MIDI IN", and nothing else.

In other words, nothing from the Voyager XL goes out the MIDI THRU, only whatever is going into the Voyager XL's MIDI IN.

What you want to use is the Voyager's MIDI OUT.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

davidedwards

Post by davidedwards » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:42 pm

Thank you guys very much for getting back to me! A few things have been clarified for me and now I just need to try and read some of these manuals and get back into the groove of things. I broke my back and haven't been able to play music for the last 4 years and I'm just getting back into it. I have a bunch of gear (incliuding an MP-201), so I'm sure I'll have some more questions at some point. I found some good websites explaining all about MIDI, so I'll have definitely read up on those. Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly!

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:41 am

Welcome back to making music!! :D

Even though the standard is a bit dated now (enhancements are on the way!, MIDI is a very powerful control system, with about a gazzilion different ways to make things work!! MIDI setups can be very simple, or extremely complex -
Once you start digging in, try to keep your initial setup as simple as possible with only a couple of different hardware device involved.
Keeps troubleshooting much easier!!

Have fun, keep us posted!

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...