MURF CV Tempo sync issues

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Bardonia

MURF CV Tempo sync issues

Post by Bardonia » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:37 am

Hey I'm trying to tempo sync my murf (the original - not the midi one) to a tr8 drum machine. I have a molten voltage CV sync midi - cv converter. So midi out from the drum machine into the CV sync then into the tap/step input on the murf. It seems so close to syncing but I find that its dragging and drifting. I have the delay only output of a diamond memory lane 2 going into it. Wondering if I'm missing something.. Any assitance much appreciated

Bardonia

Re: MURF CV Tempo sync issues

Post by Bardonia » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Slightly bemused as I found a post on another site where someone says Moog advised them to feed the audio click from the metronome in Ableton to the CV rate jack and let the audio signal drive the tempo. Tried using the clap from the tr8 to no avail. It'd be great if the midi to CV converter would sync accurately. Maybe I'm doinf something wrong

weary

Post by weary » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:03 pm

page 13 of Manual:
"...and plugging the FS-1 or a gate signal in halfway to this input and the RATE LED turns green."

I hope this helps.
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:02 pm

The Tempo/Sync jack can do step advance also. If you have a stereo 1/4" Y cable (that splits the stereo out to separate jacks), one signal in will tap the tempo and the other will advance the sequence one step for each gate pulse. The step advance is my favorite feature on the pedal as you can create negative space in between notes instead of always arpeggiating one note after the other. This gives you the power to give the sequences a new rhythm.

My other favorite feature is the ability to control the slider position over MIDI! This is done with the velocity CC which is handy in Ableton clips.

It is a great little pedal and it acts differently on poly synths, monsynths, guitars and probably voices too. I like dragging the notes out really long for breathing drones sounds or really short for plucky sounds.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

weary

Post by weary » Mon May 02, 2016 6:28 pm

Bryan B wrote:The Tempo/Sync jack can do step advance also. If you have a stereo 1/4" Y cable (that splits the stereo out to separate jacks), one signal in will tap the tempo and the other will advance the sequence one step for each gate pulse. The step advance is my favorite feature on the pedal as you can create negative space in between notes instead of always arpeggiating one note after the other. This gives you the power to give the sequences a new rhythm.
I'm so intrigued! But:
I plugged stereo jack of Y into TAP/STEP input, then plugged mono jacks to EHX Clockworks outputs, and adjust a different speed rate for each.
And there's no "step advance" effect :?
Voyager PE, VX-351, 2xCP-251, LittlePhatty SE II, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M

sin night

Post by sin night » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Sorry for being late. I had the same issue. The Clockworks is fine to clock other gears such as the Mother-32, but for some reasons it doesn't work with my the MF-105M.
I looked at the output of the Clockworks with a cheap oscilloscope and the waveform looks more like a very short decaying impulse than a stable square. I'm not an electrician, but I suppose that's the issue.

So I built a pulse stretcher based on a schematic found in the "Make Analog Synthetizers" book (which is a slight variation of one of the pulse stretcher featured in the "CMOS Mickey Mouse Logic" page on MFOS site). I used a CD40106 for the build, so my module has 3 pulse stretchers. With this device, the waveform of the clock now looks like a pulse and it's much longer and stable than the output of the Clockworks.
Now my MF-105M works fine with the Clockworks.

(For the record, I managed to finish the build just this afternoon.)
MacMini 5.1 (mid 2011) i5 16GB OSX 10.13; Minitaur, GrandMother, 2x Mother 32, MF-101/102/103/104M/105M/107/108M, MF-Boost, MF-Drive; Roland Studio Capture, Motu microLite, 2x microExpress, iConnectMIDI4+, ESI M4U EX, Maschine Mikro, Cubase 10.

weary

Post by weary » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:30 pm

sin night wrote:Sorry for being late. I had the same issue.
Now my MF-105M works fine with the Clockworks.
So, during this time I bought a second CP-251, and now I can get longer signals from the clockworks through 2xLAG processors :wink: