MF 108M LFO problem?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
diamondo

MF 108M LFO problem?

Post by diamondo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Just picked up my 3rd Moogerfooger today, a Cluster Flux to add to the Freq Box and Ring Mod which I've found to be really useful and problem-free.

Unfortunately the Cluster Flux is having problems straight out of the box- the LFO signal is audible through the output almost as loud as the audio signal & in the same frequency range. It sounds like the LFO's been tuned to play a much higher note than normal. It's horribly distracting and renders the unit pretty much useless. Before shipping it back to the supplier I just wanted to check if anyone had encountered & possibly solved the same issue? The LFO isn't audible when the unit is bypassed by the way. I've tested with a few different Moogerfooger power supplies, plugging into guitar amp and studio DAW, different leads in and out, different placement in the signal chain, but can't get rid of it...

Would really appreciate any advice you guys might have,

d.

facon

Re: MF 108M LFO problem?

Post by facon » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Depending on your settings, this could be normal. If you have it setup like a flanger with some feedback, you can absolutely hear it. The controls on the Clusterflux can easily go to the extreme. Try some standard settings in the manual and see if it's still very audible. If so, your best approach would be to call Moog.

diamondo

Post by diamondo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks facon,
Unfortunately I've been noticing it even with relatively conservative settings. Only way I could reduce the lfo volume was turning down the output level almost all the way and boosting the input drive all the way up. Great if you love overdrive :D. I've emailed Moog support in case it's possible to calibrate / reset the lfo frequency via midi, if not I'll ship it back for replacement,
d.

diamondo

Post by diamondo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:16 am

Just checking again today- seems I'm not hearing the LFO but the unit is generating a 460Hz tone, which is then being modulated by the LFO...

MRNUTTY

Post by MRNUTTY » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:23 am

Call moog, post a sound sample. Sounds like it could be a calibration issue with the BBD letting clock noise in, at a guess from the text.
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

facon

Post by facon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:54 am

If you follow the midi firmware update, it will reset everything back to factory settings. It's located in the download tab in the product page for the Clusterflux:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/mooge ... nloads-tab

Moog's support through email is not very good. I've had to contact them a few times and rarely received a response. However, they were really responsive over the phone. A lot of other people had the same experience.

diamondo

Post by diamondo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will call Moog & run the firmware update tomorrow,

d.

diamondo

Post by diamondo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:54 am

Just to report back, in case anyone else encounters the same problem. Tried the firmware update & it repeatedly failed to finish. Called Moog support and they said the firmware issue plus the audible clock noise indicated a circuit board problem. Cluster flux has been shipped back to the supplier for replacement.

Thanks again for the help,
d