CP-251 and touching the patch cable cords

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Kirneh Ness

CP-251 and touching the patch cable cords

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:06 pm

I have been experimenting with my new CP - this will become a fun and never-ending process. I would recommend all that ask about which MF to get next (and they are addictive), to get this unit quite early on. This is a big mind opener, if you have not previously thought about modular synthesis.

Anyway, a minor issue. I found that in some instances sound would be affected when I wiggled the cords of the patch cables. Just a little bit back and forth while they are connected (the cables are cheap and have soft plastic cords, but work perfect when in place and left alone).

I am a novice in electronics, but my crazy theory is that this is not due to faulty patch cables, but due to small voltage changes induced by moving the cords - changes big enough to affect e.g. attenuation if one is jerking the cable in the attenuator input. Is this indeed crazy, or should I get better cables, or simply stop touching the cables after they have been inserted?
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

Headphones

Re: CP-251 and touching the patch cable cords

Post by Headphones » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:19 am

I can't answer your question on the cables, but you asked which fooger to get next. If you can afford it, get yourself a MF 104m. With your MFs 101, 102, 103 and your CP251, you could get some interesting results when you throw a bucket brigade delay into your setup. Endless ways you could patch the 5 of them together.

If you can't justify the price on a 104, then get a 105m or 107 before they get scarce. (Or, get them all! :twisted: )

Kirneh Ness

Re: CP-251 and touching the patch cable cords

Post by Kirneh Ness » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:21 pm

Headphones wrote:I can't answer your question on the cables, but you asked which fooger to get next. If you can afford it, get yourself a MF 104m. With your MFs 101, 102, 103 and your CP251, you could get some interesting results when you throw a bucket brigade delay into your setup. Endless ways you could patch the 5 of them together.

If you can't justify the price on a 104, then get a 105m or 107 before they get scarce. (Or, get them all! :twisted: )
No, I didn't ask. Deliberately. Because deep down, I want them all. :D The MF 104 is probably on the top of my list, but it is a bit expensive. So I use an old Ibanez Analog Delay Pedal from the early 1980s, and the green LINE 6 delay modeler. I am going to check this weekend whether I can manipulate the LINE 6 with the foogers through its expression pedal input. That could open up for some interplay, although one way.

Thanks for the feedback!
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.