mf-102 different than other foogers?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
twelsch42

mf-102 different than other foogers?

Post by twelsch42 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 pm

My ring mod seems less robust/different than the four other foogers in my collection. The knobs don't have a firmness that's usually present on foogers. There's actually a bit of play in the knobs. The footswitch has a circular locknut opposed to the hex-nut on my other units. And the metal face isn't nearly as textured. The bottom metal also has some flex to it - when you squeeze any others they don't exhibit any deformation.

Nothings really a big deal except for the knobs not being buttery smooth kind of bums me out.

S/N in the 5XXXX's.
Stickers on the bottom as expected.
Bought the unit locally from craigslist so I don't know any history.
Performs as expected, I think. Still learning the device.

stiiiiiiive

Re: mf-102 different than other foogers?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:46 am

For the six past years, I’ve had my hands on seven Foogers. Six of them were bought new or merely used, but the seventh seems to be older: the texture of the metal is not the same and the knobs are less firm. I’m not sure this is due to usage and I tend to think parts and design changed at some points.

Anyone can be more precise?

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:47 pm

I have two MF-102's with SN 9xxx and 15xxx. Both of them have firm knobs and hex locknuts on the footswitch. Perhaps your SN is 5xxx not 5xxxx? There's also the very real chance that someone replaced the hex nut with a circular one. I've yet to see a MF with circular nuts.

Stephen

twelsch42

Post by twelsch42 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Yeah, it's 5###, that was my mistake. I opened it up and everything looks clean and legit on the inside. Not sure what I was expecting see.

My best guess is that it's been around the block a few times and someone lost the original lock nut on a sweaty stage long long ago.
I can only imagine that someone tried to clean the knobs/pots and that's why they feel so crummy. Whatever, I'm still a happy camper - only paid $170 for it. :D

jaybird

Post by jaybird » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 pm

I have four of the original big briar moogerfoogers (101,102,103 & 104) and a new 104M. The big briars all have the circular nut on the smaller bypass switch - no big flat washer.

Smooth finish, as opposed to the texture of the newer models. The knobs/pots do have some play.

Sounds like you figured it out already - just thought I'd shed some light.

Enjoy the ring mod - one of my personal faves!

Drew H

Post by Drew H » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:02 am

Got a brand new 102 yesterday and I too have noticed a difference in texture on the front black panel. Previous Big Briar Foogers (several years old)have a smooth finish to them and the newer ones have the same finish as the MINIFoogers. No difference in quality tho. Knobs are a little stiffer, but then the stiffness of the knobs vary on the voyager too eg; Osc Frequency knobs not stiff at all. I like it :D
Voyager EB, CP251,VX351,MF 102,103,105,107,EP1,Mother 32 x2, Dark Time, Dark Energy, Quasimidi Cyber 6, Raven, Polymorph, 309 x2, Sirius, Technox, Microkorg, MC 505, Roland W30 x2, Yamaha CS01, ARP Omni 2, EMU Proteus x2, Roland RE20, Eminent Solina Organ

facon

Post by facon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:36 am

When they switched over the SMD, they changed the pots and the enclosure finish. The newer pots are a little lighter/less heavy duty and it is now a texture black finish. This happened a few years back.