Problem with the old ring mod

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
DonutDude

Problem with the old ring mod

Post by DonutDude » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Haven't used my Moogerfooger MF-102 in quite some time and turned it on the other day and it wasn't working quite right. The buttons don't always "catch" but do when I continue to push on them and the output volume varies from normal to sometimes barely audible depending on what button is pushed. There is also some noise/static occasionally depending on which blue button is depressed. I opened it up, didn't see anything wrong and blew off any dust that may have been a problem for the connection. It seemed to work okay after warming up but then a few days later the same problem with the buttons again. Is this something a local synth guy in Tucson may be able to fix or is it time to send it to Moog, or would it be cheaper to just replace it?

Thanks, Mark

jsharpphoto

Re: Problem with the old ring mod

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:00 am

I've heard of VCO's dying from sitting for too long, but this seems a bit extreme. I would send it to moog, personally.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for the help jsharpphoto.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Sorry I didn't have better info. I don't really use my mf ring as much as I thought I would, if you want a cheap replacement for the big guy.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:33 am

jsharpphoto wrote:Sorry I didn't have better info. I don't really use my mf ring as much as I thought I would, if you want a cheap replacement for the big guy.
Thanks, I don't use it much either and will just work around the problem, since it still kind of works. If I get frustrated with it and still need a ring mod I'll just get the minifooger version.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:50 pm

It sounds like your foot switches need a good cleaning. I'd open it back up and hit them with some spray DeOxit. If that doesn't do it, send it back to Moog.

Stephen

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:37 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:It sounds like your foot switches need a good cleaning. I'd open it back up and hit them with some spray DeOxit. If that doesn't do it, send it back to Moog.
Good idea Stephen. I've got some contact cleaner around here somewhere, I'll give it a try.

DonutDude

Post by DonutDude » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:34 pm

I removed the back and wooden sides and sprayed inside the buttons, but that didn't seem to help much, so I emailed Moog. Taylor Mott from Moog replied rather quickly (just a few days) and suggested I actually remove the board this time and spray inside the buttons again. That did the trick! My ring mod is as nasty as ever, once again. Thanks for the help Stephen and Taylor Mott at Moog.