CP 251 and Little Phatty Problem

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
motion drive

CP 251 and Little Phatty Problem

Post by motion drive » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:49 am

Hello everyone

I just got a CP 251 as an addition to my Little Phatty and my Clusterphlux. As I'm completle new to the whole CV world, plz apologise my maybe silly problems.

My biggest problem is, the Little Phatty is doing some strange stuff. When im changing Jacks on the CP-251, suddenly the LP gets stuck on notes or stops recieving MIDI from my DAW (Cubase7.5).
Are there any rules to be aware of, what you shouldnt do? Any stuff that might damage something? wrong cables ?

Another issue, i find the S+H very low...I almost cant hear it. Is that normal?

I actually bought this unit for sounds like this: any Idea how that kinda sounds are made?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQIrwIAK-fw

Stuka

Re: CP 251 and Little Phatty Problem

Post by Stuka » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 pm

If you leave cables plugged into the LP's CV Volume / Gate jacks without anything connected on to the other end, you could end up with the results you mentioned. (CV cables left unconnected at one end, and/or dummy plugs are quick ways to get the Little & Slim Phattys to "drone"). If you're trying to send MIDI commands to the LP at the same time, I can see where it might get a bit unpredictable!!

Just about any 1/4" patch cable should work -
I generally use TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) cables for all my patching, so everything is compatible when I plug in expression pedals.

Keep in mind that the CP-251 is sending CONTROL signals, not audio -
other than the "noise" jack, there probably isn't a lot on that particular box that is designed to be listened to directly!

You'll probably want to spend some time with the manuals for the CP-2521 (and ClusterFlux), and try patching the examples listed in the manuals, using your LP as the "voltage controlled tone generator". When you start "tweaking" the various knobs, keep in mind that small control knob movements can frequently lead to some fairly dramatic results!

Stock up on several patch cables, and experiment ~
Like it says in the Moog manuals, there's very little chance that any patch connections made between your Moog gear will actually damage anything.
Finding out whether or not the result is musical or entertaining is part of the fun!

Have fun!! :D
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

motion drive

Re: CP 251 and Little Phatty Problem

Post by motion drive » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:41 am

Thx for the tips

The bugs are almost ok now. Its great together with the Clusterflux...defenatly great fun.

Still I dont get those "Vowel-Filter" like sounds like the guy on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQIrwIAK-fw
Seems to me he's using a additional Filter or Phaser...but he's stating not to...I'm really digging those talking effects...any Idea how to do this with LP and the CP only?