Would anyone else love to see 'foogers in Eurorack format?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
namahshaman

Would anyone else love to see 'foogers in Eurorack format?

Post by namahshaman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:07 am

I know I may catch grief for this…

But, does anyone else think it would be a great idea for Moog to offer Moogerfoogers and/or Minifoogers in the Eurorack format?

As someone who has been dreaming of entering the modular world for years, but never quite had the finance or real estate, the Eurorack format seems very appealing. Not only is it smaller and more affordable, but it seems to offer an abundance of unique options. It also appears to be a growing market for the younger generations. A market in which Moog would do well.

Just a thought.

jsharpphoto

Re: Would anyone else love to see 'foogers in Eurorack forma

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:02 pm

It's possible with the minifoogers, i guess. Likely? hard to say. I kind of hate euro-rack stuff. Or rather, I hate the people that are trying to cram euro-crack down my throat. I love modular, in concept. If I ever go modular, it will be 5u.

That being said, there is no reason you can't convert your own. Someone euro-racked a minitaur, and most of the moogers have been converted by people on this forum.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:35 am

jsharpphoto wrote:It's possible with the minifoogers, i guess. Likely? hard to say. I kind of hate euro-rack stuff. Or rather, I hate the people that are trying to cram euro-crack down my throat. I love modular, in concept. If I ever go modular, it will be 5u.
Strange idea -- of course no one forces you to buy anything. Eurorack has a very broad base now, which means you will find what you're looking for. And if you don't the resale value can be as high as 80%. Big format has its market but also limitations (cost, size, weight, transportability, variety).
That being said, there is no reason you can't convert your own. Someone euro-racked a minitaur, and most of the moogers have been converted by people on this forum.
Doing it again, I would say things will work out cheaper and far simpler if you buy something purpose-designed in the first place. Moogerfoogers were a real jumping off point for me, so I'm thankful for them. But form factor is important and here pedals with CV don't make sense with the jacks at the back. MFs are really semi-modular, look at the MF-102:

Input stage
VCO
LFO square/tri
Ring Mod
2 input mixer/"cross fade"
4x VCA (for CV inputs)

So if Moog made their own conversions, would they break out all of these functions? Or just keep them as is? The ring modulator module is actually very simple, but you need the oscillators etc. to make it work. The beauty is that when you don't have the RM patched up you have all of the other pieces to route as you see fit. So the thought process is much more abstract than "do I want a ring mod patch here, or not."

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:02 am

If you really want Euro-friendly semi-modular effects, look at Dreadbox. Their devices have excellent build quality, proper form-factor (all CV jacks are on the front) and quite interesting. They don't have the moog classic sound, because they aren't moog. But they all perform well, and are priced very competitively. I have the Omikron. It's a "wave shaper" whatever that means. To me, it's a crazy destructive distortion box, with a built in VCO and a sub oscillator. They also have the Epsilon, which is a more traditional sounding, but vastly flexible and patchable, "fuzz" pedal. They have tremolo as well. And a CV sequencer. The interesting thing about the Dreadbox stuff is that they all do several things, and the combinations aren't things you'd naturally group together. That forces you to experiment or to gang them up. Which is kind of the heart of Eurorack, right?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:34 am

Heh, the dreadbox looks very much like the MF-107!

khnumhotep

Post by khnumhotep » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:53 am

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question is kind of related. Is it possible to modulate the Moogerfoogers with CV coming from modular/eurorack units? Do they use the same voltage? I'm about to put together a modular FX/CV control system and I am worried I might damage my foogers if I bring in different voltages for CV expression control.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:09 am

khnumhotep wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question is kind of related. Is it possible to modulate the Moogerfoogers with CV coming from modular/eurorack units? Do they use the same voltage? I'm about to put together a modular FX/CV control system and I am worried I might damage my foogers if I bring in different voltages for CV expression control.
I do it with the CP-251 and Moogerfoogers and it works great :wink:
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

khnumhotep

Post by khnumhotep » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:14 am

bichuelo wrote: I do it with the CP-251 and Moogerfoogers and it works great :wink:
I'm aware of the CP251, in fact I was seriously considering getting it, but then I discovered the modular world. I'd really like to put together something like Make Noise Maths, Wogglebug, Phonogene, Pressure points, a Mutable Instruments Clouds, either a Sewastopol or a Pittsburgh In/out, 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator.. You get the point. All this for mutilating my guitar sound of course :D

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:55 pm

I don't have any experience with Eurocrack and Foogers, though I do run my Serge CV to my Foogers and vice versa with no problems at all. In the worst case scenario, you'll have to attenuate or amplify your CV's to get them in a use-able range. Hence the CP-251 suggestion.

Stephen