Syncing Midi Murf to Project BPM

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
last_dinosaur

Syncing Midi Murf to Project BPM

Post by last_dinosaur » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to do something that is conceptually very simple but in practice has turned out to be pretty confusing.

I've my patch all set up and ready to go, I'm just really really confused as to how I can either extract BPM from the pedal, or force it to play at a rate that syncs up with the BPM I've got in Logic.

I've gotten as far as being able to control the rate of the Murf by adjusting the BPM in logic, the only problem is, while increasing the BPM makes it go faster and vice versa, the built in metronome and what I'm actually playing are lightyears off.

Any help would be awesome.

Bryan B

Re: Syncing Midi Murf to Project BPM

Post by Bryan B » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:23 am

Do you have any way to send a trigger/gate out to it? There is a tap/step input on the pedal, a normal patch cable into that jack will tap the tempo (you will think that is what you want, but it isn't). Get a Stereo "Y" splitter (a stereo male plug will go into the Murf Tap/Step and the left and right will be either tap or step control). The step control allows you to control the sequencer on the MuRF, with 1 trigger advancing the pattern by one step. It is a very cool feature of this pedal.

If you don't have a way to send trigger/gate or a stereo "Y" splitter cable, I would suggest reading up on the extensive MIDI features of this pedal. You should be able to send it a midi clock (which it sounds like you have tried), divide it into a number of divisions (maybe you did this and that is why it sounded off?) and even control the tap or step with MIDI cc's (BINGO!).

I wish you luck on your quest as this pedal becomes great when it is tempo sync'd. Keep us updated if it works or not.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.