Cluster Flux Limited Edition?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
meterman

Cluster Flux Limited Edition?

Post by meterman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 pm

So the cluster flux has been out for a while now, I know when it came out Moog made a big thing about how the BBD's limited but seems like they are making as many as they want, doesn't seem like a limited edition to me, not like the Super delay. Any one know exactly what BBD's are they using that are so limited and has any one said when the cluster flux is expected to be out of production?

c7sus

Re: Cluster Flux Limited Edition?

Post by c7sus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 pm

The product description page still has language indicating the CF will be a limited run. I imagine the market for $499 MSRP flanger/chorus pedals is in itself fairly limited.

IHNI which BBD chips are used in the CF, or what serial numbers they are currently producing.

While I understand the idea of purchasing certain products due to the limited number of units available, I wouldn't make that the sole reason for buying any given product.

The CF is a fun pedal, sounds lush as a chorus or flanger, and does stuff that other models cannot do. It is pretty easy to set up patches that really emphasize and showcase the "sound" of the BBD's used.

If the price of a new one seems high I would look into Craigslist. Used CF's seem to be going for $350-375 in the Seattle metro area.
Voyager EB #165, T3 #292, MF-101, 102, 103, 104SD, 2x104MSD, 105M, 107, 108M, MP-201, VX-351, CP-251, Frostwave Fat Controller.

aaronharmon

Post by aaronharmon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:41 pm

CF is by far the best sounding chorus pedal I own.

meterman

Post by meterman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:19 pm

I agree the CF brought me from, not that crazy about chorus or flange, to I wanting to put this on everything cause this thing sounds great. Which I don't think any of the demos on YouTube really illustrate how organic and awesome this effect is, but when you play through it feels way more alive than just a normal chorus that feels sort of distant or something, hard to explain.

I feel like I hear chorus and flange on recordings everywhere now, like when you discover a new word and it seems like suddenly you hear it everywhere? Weird? makes me wonder if its the secret recording trick, definitely puts an instrument in a new space and gives it separation from other instruments.

But yeah I guess the price point puts this in the collectable and limited category no mater what. Just wondering about the collectability cause if these chips are rare, this has to be one of the best use anyone has ever put them to. I think the CF's value will age very well. Just love that you can buy great analog electronics and they seem to hold their value or increase in some cases where as digital stuff, which is great don't get me wrong, seems to quickly decline until its almost worthless, Well not all of it but if I'm making generalities. which is usually when I know its time to shut up:)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri May 01, 2015 12:44 pm

meterman wrote:I don't think any of the demos on YouTube really illustrate how organic and awesome this effect is...
You won't hurt my feelings if you've already watched this (and didn't like it).
But, if you haven't already, watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CpkKZDWeXQ
It may give you some entirely new ideas on how to use the MF-108M's awesomeness.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

meterman

Post by meterman » Wed May 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Hey Dan, I dig the video. Think you do a great job. I probably watched your video like 3 times before I got one of these! Thanks for doing what you do.
Guess I just meant that when you play through the pedal yourself you get a deeper sense for how its working than you do watching someone else at the controls. Like driving a car vs. watching someone drive a car, or something :D

Its a really nice piece of gear and it is a real pleasure to play through one!

Anyone mess with the internal dip switches? I was kinda surprised the effect is out of phase on the L+R as default, when I listened to my stereo recording back in mono (using my iPhone speaker just as a quick check) I thought something was wrong, cause all the weird tweeks I was doing were gone? Then I put on some headphones and it was how it should be. Kind of an interesting trick really.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed May 06, 2015 6:53 pm

meterman wrote:I was kinda surprised the effect is out of phase on the L+R as default, when I listened to my stereo recording back
in mono I thought something was wrong, cause all the weird tweeks I was doing were gone.
It's a Faustian deal with the Devil; but I'll take having out-of-phase stereo wideness over not having it any day.

I figure that anyone listening in mono to what I create isn't all that interested in quality listening anyway.

nectarios

Post by nectarios » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with the MF-108.
It sounds great and also plays well with my modular
https://vimeo.com/128881712

But its very noisy considering how much it costs. 600€ is a lot of cash for so much noise.
Basically I can't use it in any patches with not enough harmonics to mask the noise. I've had it for a good few years but I've had enough of trying to remove the noise post recording, to the point where I've ruined the sound and wasted hours only to erase the recording in the end.

Same relationship with the MF-103...there's like no headroom...its easy to clip it and with the out at max I still have to add *a lot* of input gain on my soundcard.
MF-102 is my favorite moogerfooger with regards to what I paid and what I got.
Eurorack, 5U, x0xb0x, Moog Slim Phatty, MF-102, MF-103, MF-108, CP-251, Beatstep Pro, Nord Lead 1, NI Maschine, MXR-104, ProCo RAT2, Big Muff π Bass, Logic Pro 9.
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 am

The Cluster Flux so far is the only pedal I have bought 3 times. My 3rd one arrives this week.

Absolutely amazing sounds are possible when used in stereo and the effects loop. I thought the MF-103 could get amazing stereo phaser sounds, but the last tone I dialed in with my former 108M w/ a Subdecay Prometheus DLX in the effect loop made me feel like I had walked through the cosmic vagina onto the surface of another planet.

If it's too noisy use a Noise Reduction feature like Audacity's or something. BBDs are just like that.

Still . . . the fact that they left two chip sockets empty and never made it with 4 BBD chips bothers me a little bit. I found out recently that Subdecay's tiny Starlight Flanger V2 has two BBDs as well, and is apparently quite the tone monster . . . maybe get one and put it in the effectloop.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:20 am

Croyote wrote:I thought the MF-103 could get amazing stereo phaser sounds, but the last tone I dialed in with my former 108M w/ a Subdecay Prometheus DLX in the effect loop made me feel like I had walked through the cosmic vagina onto the surface of another planet.
I love that band! (Although, they usually just go as CV at their outdoor shows.)

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Croyote wrote:I thought the MF-103 could get amazing stereo phaser sounds, but the last tone I dialed in with my former 108M w/ a Subdecay Prometheus DLX in the effect loop made me feel like I had walked through the cosmic vagina onto the surface of another planet.
I love that band! (Although, they usually just go as CV at their outdoor shows.)
:lol: :lol: LOL
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:44 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Actually it was a Castaneda reference, but now I need to check out this band.