FS/FT: Mint MF104Z

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
facon

FS/FT: Mint MF104Z

Post by facon » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:49 pm

I have a MF-104Z that has only been removed from the box a couple times. Otherwise it's been stored in a closet exactly how it was shipped. Includes box, PSU, manual and warranty card. Sounds amazing and I do love the oscillation on this unit more than the other Moog delays I've used.

I'd like to trade it towards a Moog delay that has midi capability so I can sync it with my MF-104MSD for stereo use. If you have a MF-104MSD that you are thinking of selling please let me know. I'll be in the market after this sells.

TRADED!

Last edited by facon on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

facon

Re: FS/FT: Mint MF104Z

Post by facon » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Price lowered and picture included.

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 am

Hello,

So how is the MF-104Z different, I am noticing there are some different models of the MF104 model number and cant find any specific details on each one.

facon

Post by facon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Of the most recent models, here are some of the main differences:

MF-104Z
Delay time up to 1000ms
No midi
No interal LFO
Feedback loop on/off switch
Feedback loop gain knob
Seperate feedback loop in/outs so you don't need an adapter

MF-104M
Delay time up to 800ms
Midi capability
Internal LFO to modulate delay time
No feedback loop switch or gain knob
Tap tempo

MF-104MSD
Delay time up to 1200ms
Midi capability
Tap tempo

As far as sound, they're all pretty close. They do behave a little differently though. You may want to check out different demos. I love the oscillation on the MF-104Z the most. It seems to be a bit more "wild" than the M and MSD. The MSD being the most polite of all three. But the midi control and LFO on the M and MSD are great. I need to setup my pedals to use midi as presets for a live guitar pedalboard. Otherwise the Z would be staying.

So, to me it comes down to:
1) How much delay time do you want?
2) Do you need midi control?
3) Do you want more control over the feedback loop?
4) Do you want to modulate the delay time without an external LFO?
5) Do you have a preference on the self oscillation characteristics between them?
6) Do you need tap tempo?

Both the MF-104Z and MF-104MSD are no longer available to purchase new.

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:08 pm

facon wrote:Of the most recent models, here are some of the main differences:

MF-104Z
Delay time up to 1000ms
No midi
No interal LFO
Feedback loop on/off switch
Feedback loop gain knob

MF-104M
Delay time up to 800ms
Midi capability
Tap tempo
Thank you for such a nice response! I recently just purchased a Voyager, CP and VC. So looking into at least 1 Mooger. This model now interests me hearing the differences.

What would be the point on the midi control in the other 2 models?

Also with Feedback loop on/off switch
Feedback loop gain knob

What would you say those effect compared to the M model without them?

facon

Post by facon » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 pm

You can use a midi controller to adjust the settings. There are also hidden settings that can be adjusted via midi. If you use multiple time based devices and use midi clock, you can sync them together without adjusting the time knob. If you're the kind of person that just wants to easily move knobs and adjust real time, these might not mean much to you. Especially if you're sticking to the analog synth world.

For me, I need the midi capability because I'm syncing two Moog delays in stereo after a clusterflux. I have some rhythmic guitar parts that rely on the delays being precisely timed together.

Since the M model doesn't have a feedback switch, you need to unplug or bypass anything in the feedback loop to disconnect it. With the Z model, you hit the switch on or off. This is pretty self explanatory, but very useful. You can have a row of effects plugged into the feedback loop and switch them all at once. An example would be, say you're sending a saw wave to the delay and you want it to jump to a big pad-like sound during a chorus. You could plug in an octaver, a chorus and a reverb pedal. Hit the switch when the chorus comes in and you have something huge and ambient. Adjust the loop gain right below oscillation and it will be a wall of sound.

The loop gain knob is great if you plan to hook up external effects. It allows you to control the returning input level of the feedback loop. Basically, what the feedback knob does, but specifically applied to the external loop. So, you can pad down a loud effect, boost a quiet effect (from instrument level), or have the delay self oscillate when the feedback switch is turned on, but bring it back down when the switch is off. In order to do this without the feedback knob, you would need to use a clean boost that works at instrument levels without clipping. Many boosts are designed for instrument levels.

pelissarim

Post by pelissarim » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 am

facon wrote:You can use a midi controller to adjust the settings. There are also hidden settings that can be adjusted via midi. If you use multiple time based devices and use midi clock, you can sync them together without adjusting the time knob. If you're the kind of person that just wants to easily move knobs and adjust real time, these might not mean much to you. Especially if you're sticking to the analog synth world.

For me, I need the midi capability because I'm syncing two Moog delays in stereo after a clusterflux. I have some rhythmic guitar parts that rely on the delays being precisely timed together.

Since the M model doesn't have a feedback switch, you need to unplug or bypass anything in the feedback loop to disconnect it. With the Z model, you hit the switch on or off. This is pretty self explanatory, but very useful. You can have a row of effects plugged into the feedback loop and switch them all at once. An example would be, say you're sending a saw wave to the delay and you want it to jump to a big pad-like sound during a chorus. You could plug in an octaver, a chorus and a reverb pedal. Hit the switch when the chorus comes in and you have something huge and ambient. Adjust the loop gain right below oscillation and it will be a wall of sound.

The loop gain knob is great if you plan to hook up external effects. It allows you to control the returning input level of the feedback loop. Basically, what the feedback knob does, but specifically applied to the external loop. So, you can pad down a loud effect, boost a quiet effect (from instrument level), or have the delay self oscillate when the feedback switch is turned on, but bring it back down when the switch is off. In order to do this without the feedback knob, you would need to use a clean boost that works at instrument levels without clipping. Many boosts are designed for instrument levels.
Thats pretty interesting, but I dont think I need I will be needing any of those features for the time being. Thank you! That explanation gives me lots of questions to think about. I just bought a voyager, on Sunday so Im rather new.