MIDI preset box for MF-104SD

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
rmcgill

MIDI preset box for MF-104SD

Post by rmcgill » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:46 am

Hello!

I just wanted to share a project I just finished for the MF-104SD, this is an Arduino based midi controller made specifically as a preset box for the MF-104 Super Delay. I've been using it for shows and it saves me a lot of headache trying to adjust all those knobs! I have made all of the code public on GitHub so feel free to use this to build your own Preset box. This is the 1st rev and it looks pretty goofy, but I would like to make another model in a real sturdy aluminum hammond enclosure. Any one out there want one of these?

Demo Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNELvGkAd5s
GitHub: https://github.com/ryanjamesmcgill/Midi-Preset-Box

EMwhite

Re: MIDI preset box for MF-104SD

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Wow, nice. So does it work (out of the box) to support MF_104 only, or does it capture any number of CCs between 1 and n and then play those back to the target device when the preset is selected?

Ideally it would be extensible such that it could be used with other products which work via ccs such as the MuRF and Cluster Flux or maybe some of the Pigtronix boxes.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

rmcgill

Post by rmcgill » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Currently it's set up to cycle through a large number of the parameters on the MF-104 (even "secret" ones not accessible from front panel). But your totally on point, it just sends MIDI CC messages associated with each preset, so yeah it could be used for any MIDI device that is controllable by CC messages! Although it would require some minor programming alterations for the different CC values associated to each parameter.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Nice work!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

facon

Post by facon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Nice! That's always been a project I've been putting on the backburner. It's nice to have some direction for it. I've been using an iPad, but would definitely prefer a standalone box. Great work!

Shoot me a message with what you'd like for one of these. Would be interested in buying one. Especially if you could give some guidance on how to program it to include the Clusterflux.

jaik

Post by jaik » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:39 am

Ryan McGill, take my money, please.

Can you make me one ? Will it work for the Clusterflux 108m too?

if you can do this, why hasn't Moog made one of these after years of customer requests ? Moog, hire Ryan. Pay him all of the moneys.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Not to take away from Ryan McGill's very cool preset box (nice user interface!), but here's a low-budget alternative (assuming you already own an iOS device):

Use any computer-based sequencer to create a single track that has a CC Message for every parameter you want to change on a particular MIDI Fooger (MF-104M, MF-104MSD, MF-105M, MF-108M). Save this file as your template and keep making new sequences by substituting new values for each "preset".

Get a low-cost iOS MIDI interface and a cheap (or free) MIDI Recorder for your iOS device. Put the iOS app in Record and play one of the tracks into it (usually takes less than a second). Name this file with your "preset" name.

Now you can dial up a tiny MIDI file by name on your iOS device and hit play and the MIDI Fooger will jump to your desired settings.

Some hardware examples:

Griffin MIDIConnect $14.97
Griffin StudioConnect $39.99
iConnectivity iConnectMIDI1 $59.99
Line6 MIDI Mobilizer II $69.95 (Has free MIDI Memo 1-button MIDI Recorder/Player)

Some of these are 30-pin and there are Lightning versions as well. But, if you have an older iPhone or iPad lying around, this might be a great way to get use out of it again.

Others have suggested the TouchOSC app, which will let you customize virtual knobs. But I find that just being able to dial up a file and hit play is convenient enough for me.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jaik

Post by jaik » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:54 pm

_DemonDan_ ; that sounds like it would involve playing guitar barefoot so I could dial around on my old iPhone with a big toe to activate presets :lol: which is pretty much how I get my settings on moogerfoogers live already anyway, dialing with my feet.... :wink:

Is there a way for any of those options to be footswitchable ? midi recorder sequencing CC messages sounds like chinese to me.

facon

Post by facon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 pm

You'd need to send a midi PC into your iOS devise. Then you can use a foot controller live. MidiDesigner recognizes the PC # along with the preset #. Pretty cool when you combine it with a foot controller like the GigRig to switch your pedals.

My problem is that I have my iPad tied up in another instrument and I really don't want it on a pedalboard. In that case I could go the MidiSolutions Event Processor route, but you need to connect it to a computer just to edit it. Not as fun as real time editing on the device you're using. I vote for all in one solution like yours. Especially if it could recognize incoming PCs.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Cool project! Thanks for sharing. I can tell you put a lot of effort into making exactly what you needed and that is the best part.

This got me thinking about how I can use Ableton Live as a way to manage presets and automation for my Foogers via MIDI. I have it all wired up (each Fooger on a separate MIDI channel) and they are ready to go, but I just haven't had time to dive into experimenting with this concept since way back when the MIDI MuRF was first released.

I planned to set up labeled MIDI clips to act as templates (as mentioned above).

Since I already program a lot of my old analog synths with MIDI clips, why not control the 3 MIDI Foogers too?
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

vongon

Post by vongon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello again,

I originally created this thread ~4 years ago when I prototyped this midi controller for the Moogerfoogers.

Now I have started a little company and I'm selling this device, it's extremely useful when playing with the moogerfoogers live, check it out!
demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGnVd1EHBIs

more info @ https://www.vongon.com/
* if you are purchasing from outside the US, I can get a better shipping rate thru my reverb store: https://reverb.com/shop/vongon

Cheers!
Attachments
01-front-perspective-iphone.jpg