MF-107 Freqbox anybodys favorite?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
meterman

MF-107 Freqbox anybodys favorite?

Post by meterman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:51 pm

Hello, I am interested in the Freqbox it seems pretty cool, I love the fuzzy distorted tones it gets with guitar, but I haven't been able to find too many people raving about it exactly. Do you all find this pedal ages well? Does it get used that much in your setup? I have several other moogerfoogers and a voyager so I could see it having some use, but not sure if I would get tired of it after a few months or so.

Alien8

Re: MF-107 Freqbox anybodys favorite?

Post by Alien8 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:03 pm

It's not my favourite pedal, and doesn't see much use.

I can't bring myself to sell it though, it's just a great sounding oscillator and great for patching things together. It has some fantastic sounds in it, I just can't seem to mesh with it regularly. I pull it out when I need something different, and it satisfies me every time.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:32 pm

I love the Freqbox, but I don't find much day-to-day "musical" use for it. I wish it would work as more of an analog harmonizer guitar. I did use it as the oscillator for my diy sample and hold video, though.

http://youtu.be/bE31-VyNL44

http://youtu.be/TBVv62SFBCk

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:43 am

When I was on the fence on buying an MF-107 FreqBox, this was the video turned me around from, "Do I really need this MF?" to
"What am I gonna' sell to get one?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWFwIK8ysg

Instead of using a sequencer, like the clever musician in the video, two people could jam into the MF-107 at the same time. Imagine a combined guitar and keyboard solo, both playing the same FreqBox. The guitar plugs into the AUDIO IN and the keyboardist could use a keyboard that sends Pitch CV to control the FREQ IN of the OSC. Turn on OSC Sync. The audible result would be a solo with harmonic and pitch aspects of both players.

When you don't need the freqness, the MF-107 is also a useful source of an ENV OUT to go to other CV Ins.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:17 am

I no longer own one and I consider it the least necessary Fooger.

However, the one use I have for it is as a modulated fuzz tone with ability to sweep the waveform of the fuzz w/ CV. IT's not a sound I would use a lot, but it's a cool one nonetheless.

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:41 am

I use the oscillator live as a sort of theramin. I run osc out through my 105 to have greater tonal control. I also find it useful to add edge to drumbeats, as well as a contrasting voice when making a soundscape with several other foogers - it cuts through in a distinctive way especially when applied to short sounds.

With sync on, it is good with keys or bass to add synthy beef to the sound, and with sync off it is a useful drone. Plus it is a more versatile extra oscillator than the 102 because of the choice of waveforms. And it expands the tonal palette of the 102 by means of the carrier in.

So, I like mine! 8)

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:03 pm

The Freqbox is essential to the way I use my Foogers (as a modular instrument). The Ring Mod has an Oscillator out, but the Sine is too clean and soft for most of what I want, so I find that I use the Freqbox all of the time just as an Oscillator (using the frequency input as the way to play notes). I usually add in a bit of the Ringmod Oscillator as well and play off of the contrasting textures or combinations of the 2.

I have experimented many different times with the volume input and it seems best suited to me to track the volume of another already created sound. So I use another synth as an input quite often, using the envelope on my other synth to control the volume of the Freqbox.

The best feature of this pedal (besides being a functional Oscillator) is that it has CV control over the resulting waveshape! This in my opinion is what really makes this pedal cool. I have a giant Moog-styled modular system with 4 Oscillators and none of them offer variable waveshape with cv control.

I used to pair the Freqbox with my SH-101 a lot. I could use it to track the SH-101 pitch (frequency cv input) and then tune it to be a sub octave or a higher octave. When I mixed them together it gave the SH-101 a better bottom end, funkier higher end (used with the CP-251's Lag) and a potential grit that usually gave me smiles or the urge to dance!

I wouldn't want to use only this pedal, but it is a integral piece in the Fooger modular puzzle and a sonic weapon if one knows how to harness it's powers.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

JimF

Post by JimF » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:20 am

The FreqBox seems to be the least understood of the MFs. Apart from being a useable VCO, the FM side of things means that it can be used as a kind of analogue 2-operator FM oscillator, leading to all kinds of Yamaha FM-type sounds done in the analogue domain. Used in this way, it's amazing, not simply a strange fuzz box. To do it most effectively, you need to send it:
1) a signal, eg from an individual VCO from a synthesizer (individual output on a modular system or on an instrument that has individual VCO outputs), or from a theremin (I use my Etherwave Pro).
2) a control voltage, usually correlated with the pitch of the VCO in (1) (the EW Pro has this).
Detuning the FreqBox VCO to eg a minor 3rd or so away from the external VCO's pitch will allow for vast, shimmering, metallic monsters or silky bells etc.
My 107 gets just as much use as my 101,102,103, I wouldn't be without it. I'm glad Moog made something in the experimental line like this, and hope they never delete it from the product range.

Cheers,

JimF

twelsch42

Post by twelsch42 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:32 pm

I was thinking that the 107 wasn't that cool.....until I realized that it pairs up amazingly with a microbrute. Microbrute cv controlling the 107's frequency. Run that all through my minitaur for the filter or more oscillators. Plus the minitaurs assignable cv-inputs. It's a slick miniature modular; microbrute, minitaur, 107, plus any other foogers.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:04 pm

I run my entire modular system through the 107, then just fade the effect in and out via the mix knob. Adds that special grit and can also be tuned to the tonic of a sequence for extra points.

Stephen

meterman

Post by meterman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:14 pm

So I picked one up and yeah its pretty bad ass, you can get a lot of sounds out of it, but defiantly pushes my voyager over the edge to sound gritty and awesome :D On my guitar I could get lots of great fuzz like tones, thought it sounded similar to an Octavia at times, and fuzz wah stuff, on Bass it gets great distorted sounds like some early Larry Graham, sorta tones great with mixing the clean and affected tone with if preferable on bass (running parallel distortion/clean). Seems like it can cover so many tonal ranges unlike a regular distortion effect. I can see it not being everyones cup of tea cause it is not all that subtle, but I dig it.

Marcie609

Post by Marcie609 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:32 pm

Definitely my fave for unusual tones!
Try plugging a Rhythm Wolf through it, geez!
what a difference...

Marcie609

Post by Marcie609 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:33 pm

1) a signal, eg from an individual VCO from a synthesizer (individual output on a modular system or on an instrument that has individual VCO outputs), or from a theremin (I use my Etherwave Pro).
2) a control voltage, usually correlated with the pitch of the VCO in (1) (the EW Pro has this).
Detuning the FreqBox VCO to eg a minor 3rd or so away from the external VCO's pitch will allow for vast, shimmering, metallic monsters or silky bells etc.

Dammit JimF That's fun!

It's now my fave fooger (apart from perhaps the 104 which I use all the time...)
I used one osc from a minitaur, swirled the minor 3rd around (just a bit) with an electro Harmonix CV seq (to the Freq)
swirled the FM amount around with an LFO from CP251 & played a seq on the minitaur
Downright Facemelting!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Subtle = Mix knob.

Stephen