Roughening up the 102 carrier out

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
deadhedgehog

Roughening up the 102 carrier out

Post by deadhedgehog » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:11 am

I am using the carrier out of the MF-102 as a sound source for other pedals, among others a murf. What is the best way to create stronger and more widely-spread harmonics in the wave? I find that a (borrowed) Rat pedal gives some nice edge to the sound. Is there any point buying a "good" distortion pedal since the sound is so mangled anyway, and this is just to give me a wider and more distinct spectrum for the filter array?

JnGd

Re: Roughening up the 102 carrier out

Post by JnGd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi,
If you use that CARRIER OUT wave alone from the MF-102, it is a sine-like wave wich
doesn't have much harmonics...I don't how the MuRF can spread something that is not
present at the input ? Is the synthesizer playing a role in the set-up ?
I would take a sawtooth wave to start experimenting, more harmonics to manage...I would
send it first to one of the attenuators of the CP-251...with attenuator's knob at 12 O'clock
as a starting point for ajusting the drive level(s) of the others effects in the line if so...

hoping it helps you, others and me too !

Alien8

Re: Roughening up the 102 carrier out

Post by Alien8 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Here are some examples:

Use the square wave.
Use a POG or HOG to get octave up
The Rat is good, but you could use a Big Muff or other fuzz / synth pedal
Add long reverb / bright delay.
crank the drive on the MuRF

Any combinations of the above will get you closer.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.