Problem Panning on MF-108M w/ Stereo Output/Input

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
sdhains

Problem Panning on MF-108M w/ Stereo Output/Input

Post by sdhains » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 am

Hey guys,
MY MF-108M mooger fooger seems to be doing something very quirky when I 'pan' on my keyboard.

If i send a mono signal from my keyboard, it outputs the MF effect in stereo just fine. However if I send a stereo signal from my keyboard into the MF via a Y-cable (that works perfect on my other pedal) - if 'pan left' on my keyboard, it has the same effect as turning the volume completely down on both speakers. if I 'pan right' it has the same effect has increasing my whole output on both speakers equally. I have tested this on my el capistan, and I get completely normal/sensible behavior - no problems.

Any ideas why this is happening? Its pretty annoying problem. I have spent wayyyy to long trying to crack this code. I'd love some help. Thanks guys!!

Sam

stiiiiiiive

Re: Problem Panning on MF-108M w/ Stereo Output/Input

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:31 am

Hey Sam, welcome to the forum.

The 108 input is mono. Panning you keyboard out signal won't be useful.
Anyone correct me.

sdhains

Post by sdhains » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:24 am

Double post
Last edited by sdhains on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:59 pm

As the manual states & stiiiiiiive mentioned - Yes, the input of the CF is mono. The input of the El Cap is either a stereo TRS in or a mono stereo in depending on the age of the unit - likely you have the newer version.

The channel that you connect to the tip of your Y cable will be the one that the CF accepts. I don't know how the stereo mixer in your keyboard works, but this is fairly typical behaviour for "stereo" gear to have a perceived volume increase on one channel of a stereo output when hard panned.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

sdhains

Post by sdhains » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Am I a doofus or what? I didn't even consider that it was a mono input stereo output arrangement. Well I don't think it should really be a problem given that I've got reverb, delay , chorus and flange effects in stereo . Thanks for your help guys !

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Regardless of how it might work with any other gear, summing two different channels with a Y (L & R in your case) is not a good idea. For clarity on this subject, do a Google search on the Rane article called "Why not Wye?"

What you're getting when you recombine your signal is most likely cancellation or augmentation depending on the phase of each channel and how your mixer and/or keyboard deals with it. In this case, improper inputs give whacky outputs.

Firstly, never throw your L & R together with a Y. Ever. Even if it seems to work for you in other situations. You're messing with stuff beyond your pay grade. :)

If you want to send both R and L outputs from your keyboard to the MF-108 or any other outboard gear, use a mixer. You can do a sub mix via Aux channels or Sub channels, that's what they're there for. If you don't have enough Aux's or Sub channels, you can buy a small handheld box with a few mixing functions in it.

And why might you be wanting to send both L & R from your keyboard through the MF-108 in the first place? Doesn't one channel do it nicely enough? Even sending L and R through a mixer then to the 108, your results will vary depending on how well your keyboard handles the phase from each channel. And different programs within the same keyboard may give radically different results in that department.

Stephen