heavy Fuzz

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
kungfil

heavy Fuzz

Post by kungfil » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 am

Can anyone share some ideas to create deep toned heavy fuzz using the Moogerfoogers? I have all pedals except the 108. Kinda gotten there with the Frequbox. Looking for really heavy dirty grungy fuzz. Thanks in advance for any help from an amateur at best.

facon

Re: heavy Fuzz

Post by facon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:14 pm

The closest you'll get to a fuzz tone is from the Freqbox. You might be able to get a heavy distortion by using a few of them in a row. Crank up the drive and output on a couple of them, then use another to keep the level low. This might sound okay, but you should really just get a fuzz pedal if that's what you're looking for.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Yeah, it seems to me you could make an awesome FM fuzz with the freqbox. That would be the best trick. Other than that, you'll just have the world's most expensive overdrive if you gang a bunch of moogerfoogers together.

kungfil

Post by kungfil » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Thanks for the input. Have a couple fuzz pedals and they are noisy in comparison to the Moogerfoogers (spoiled me). Have gotten some pretty good sounds out of the freqbox but it's just not tough enough if I'm wording it properly. Been dinking around with the freq/low pass filter combo and will keep chasing that sound. Maybe 109 could be a Moog fuzz?
Regardless, every time I turn these things on new sounds and ideas start flowing, learning and having a total blast.

Thanks all!

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 am

Cluster Flux . . . send the TRS Effects Loops send to a stereo out pedal. Send both the outputs to the Ring Modulator (MF-102, CoPilot etc) input and the Carrier In. Connect the Ring Mod's output to the TRS Effects Loop Return on the 108M. Add modulation to taste. This get's some insane octave fuzz and distortion tones that would send BK Butler running for his money.

If I were doing heavy rock/blues now, this would be holy grail tone.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Croyote,

Just to understand what you're doing here... You're basically splitting the ClusterFlux FX loop out signal via a Y or a mult (in your case using a stereo out pedal), that signal gets duplicated and sent to both carrier and signal in on a Ring Mod, then the Ring output gets sent back to the FX return on the ClusterFlux. Does that sound right? I don't have a Stereo pedal to try this out with, though could easily use a mult on my CP-251.

Stephen

kungfil

Post by kungfil » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Stephen,

Thanks for looking for clarification, consider me a kintergardner to this stuff, but your questions helping me see a little more clearer. Bad part, I don't have the 108 cluster flux or cp251 yet....but working my way there.

Hoping to get to the bottom of this HEAVY FUZZ debacle eventually.

In case anyone is wondering of a like sound I'm trying to get, check out any youtube tune from; Wo Fat, Sleep or Acid king.

kindly,
kungfil

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 am

Yeah.

Use a TRS Insert Cable from the CF effects loop. I sent it to a stereo delay at a fast repeat speed with a low mix level to the ring mod and back. The fact it was a delay may effect it, you may also try a reverb or anything really for different sounds. I have no idea if the mult would work, but that's good to know if it does! I've never used it to make a mono audio signal go stereo.

The tone I was able get reminded me of those ZZ Top tones from Afterburner etc. Very tube-like octave tone that could be quite fuzzy. I really can't remember everything in my chain as I haven't had the CF for about 2 years as I sold it to raise money for my Moog Guitar.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:20 am

Croyote,

Thanks for the update. I was thinking that by 'Stereo Out Pedal' you just meant a stereo volume pedal. Now I see that you mean a delay pedal with a stereo output, which by definition basically means that L and R will be different from each other. I tried the 'Mult' approach and it didn't do squat. Signal and Carrier must be different from one another for a Ring Modulator to do something with it. Which is what I thought, I just had to try it...

In essence, running your mono signal through anything that outputs stereo with differences between L and R should be grist for the Ring. Even a second ClusterFlux. Which I just so happen to have (picked up a second one in a deal... will be selling it soon). So in this case, run a mono signal through a ClusterFlux, throw an insert cable into the FX send/return, run that into a second ClusterFlux and take the stereo outputs into the Carrier and Signal inputs of a Ring mod, take the mono output from the Ring back into the first ClusterFlux.

I'll try this and report back. If it's beyond my wildest expectations, I may hang onto that second ClusterFlux. :)

Stephen

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Croyote,

Thanks for the update. I was thinking that by 'Stereo Out Pedal' you just meant a stereo volume pedal. Now I see that you mean a delay pedal with a stereo output, which by definition basically means that L and R will be different from each other. I tried the 'Mult' approach and it didn't do squat. Signal and Carrier must be different from one another for a Ring Modulator to do something with it. Which is what I thought, I just had to try it...

In essence, running your mono signal through anything that outputs stereo with differences between L and R should be grist for the Ring. Even a second ClusterFlux. Which I just so happen to have (picked up a second one in a deal... will be selling it soon). So in this case, run a mono signal through a ClusterFlux, throw an insert cable into the FX send/return, run that into a second ClusterFlux and take the stereo outputs into the Carrier and Signal inputs of a Ring mod, take the mono output from the Ring back into the first ClusterFlux.

I'll try this and report back. If it's beyond my wildest expectations, I may hang onto that second ClusterFlux. :)
Lucky . . . lucky . . . lucky

Remember that if you put the same signal into the input of the ring mod and the carrier, you get the same sound an octave above your original signal. This is part of the point of the octave fuzz tone . . .too vast differences betweem signal and carrier will get something different, but think of the possibilities with trems etc

I can't remember how much Drive I dialed in, and I may have maxed out the modulation w/ lots ramp or saw wave for extra grit.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 am

You should be able to get the effect from a simple Y style splitter. I've used a boss ls-2 to do it. And yes the sound is great! Add just a little drive from the ring mod, then put a MuRF after on pattern 1 to act as an EQ. Use the mix and drive (into orange / red) to get a good final sound. Or put a feqbox before the MuRF.

Now it won't be like the tone the bands mentioned by the OP, but it will be dynamic and all your own. To get what they do, get a 30 watt tube amp and turn it to 11 to make the power tubes run close to meltdown. No pedals, just guitar & amp - still can't beat hot tubes; like original model Ds & tape echos.

(Check out the band Clutch. One of my favs)
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:47 am

As I mentioned, I tried the mult approach and found nothing happening. I can't imagine that a Y splitter would be any different.

Or am I missing something here?

Stephen

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:01 am

I thought the MULT only handled CV not Audio.

kungfil

Post by kungfil » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Great the weekend has arrived, will make time to dink with some of the ideas posted, hoping at the least should give me a recipe to spice to my own taste. Keep meaning to get the 11 upgrade for my amp but neighbors ya know.....baahaa :).

Yes enjoy clutch, Drink to the dead is my fav from them. Thanks all.

kindly,
PG

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Croyote wrote:I thought the MULT only handled CV not Audio.
Yes, though I am getting a signal to the Ring that way... it's just that sending the same signal to the Carrier In doesn't do anything.

Stephen