CP-251 S&H and Lag not working

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
modularfreak

CP-251 S&H and Lag not working

Post by modularfreak » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi all Moogerfooger enthusiasts,

Just playing with my CP-251 and it seems that neither the S&H nor the Lag processor work, everything else is fine.
With the S&H I tried the usual stuff
- just using the out1 (or out2) patched to the CV IN of an oscillator (without patching anything else that should automatically route the noise into the S&H in, triggered by the square lfo)
- patching an external CV (lfo) into IN and using the out1 (or out2) patched to the CV IN of an oscillator
- see above and trying to trigger the S&H externally by a sequencer (with different gate widths)
All of these options didn´t work.

I just get a constant voltage=higher pitch (4-6 oct higher than unpatched) on my oscillator when patching from the CP-251 to the CV IN.

The Lag processor also doesn´t work at all.

And everything else (mixer, lfo, even the noise output when patched into a mixer) works perfectly.

Maybe it´s an user error or not...

P.S.: I tried different patch cables with the same results.

modularfreak

Re: CP-251 S&H and Lag not working

Post by modularfreak » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:31 pm

A couple of minutes ago I opened the CP-251 and found 2 jumper cables misplaced - that fixed the S&H issues - great! Buying second hand is always an experience...

The Lag Processor still doesn´t work. I reseated all jumper cables with no success. With nothing patched into the Lag IN and the OUT patched to a v/oct CV IN of an oscillator, the oscillators pitch drops by a couple of semitones. Trying to slew the LFOs square wave with RISE and FALL does nothing.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:31 am

Hey Modularfreak, welcome to the forum.

I was about to say that is the quickest -true- "I have a problem" + "Solved!" couple of posts ever :)
Even if you opened the CP, you can write to Moog tech suupport. Maybe pictures of the inner will help them diagnosing the breakdown.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:39 am

It sounds like there's still something disconnected. However, if you've already opened it and found there's nothing disconnected, it's possible the previous owner fried something on the lag processor circuit. Probably a cheap part inside, but it'll cost some money to diagnose and send back to moog.

modularfreak

Post by modularfreak » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for declaring me the quickest "problem post and resolver" guy ever on the moog forum!

It simply drove me nuts that certain sections perfectly worked whereas others were "mad".

As mentioned in my 2nd post there are no more jumper cables to "fix" - unfortunately - as this is my skills level...I have good ears (still after many decades) but no clue how to deal with the inside.

I will try contacting Moog and ask for help what parts related to the lag processor have to be checked by a friend of mine.

P.S.: I own Moogs for a very long time. Still have 2*Minimoogs, Moog Source, Realistic, Rogue, Satellite, Minitaur and a couple of Moogerfoogers. I was a little bit shocked by the fact that many users seem to have software problems with their Minitaur 3. 0 Upgrades, so I will stick with version 2 for a while. Nonetheless it is the best sounding "little box". I am deeply thankful about the non-presence of software in those old Minimoogs!

jackmurray

Post by jackmurray » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Hey modularfreak,

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here. But I just purchased a "like-new" CP-251 from eBay and am experiencing similar issues with the S&H and Lag.

I've been scratching my head as to why it wasn't producing the expected sound when paired with my Voyager. This is the first post I was able to find that expressed a similar problem.

I haven't opened it up yet but I plan to do so when I get home tonight to see if there's a similar issue with the jumpers (one of the bottom feet was loose when it arrived... hmm...).

But until then, I'm curious to see if you ever found a solution for the Lag section of the unit? I'm hoping the jumper cable solution might fix my problem with the S&H but I fear the Lag issue will persist.

If that is the case, I'll be filing an eBay support/return case and getting my money back.

Thanks!