MF-108M - Did I fry it?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Heisenberg82

MF-108M - Did I fry it?

Post by Heisenberg82 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Bought a used MF-108M Cluster Flux and it didn't come with a power adapter, only this little cable that looks to be a polarity converter (not sure that it is). I got out one of my 9v DC 560ma adapters and plugged it into that other cable but it didn't power up the Cluster Flux (no lights whatsoever). I've since ordered the official Moog power adapter from Sweetwater, but I'm just wondering if I did any damage to the unit. What is that little cable and doesn't it sound like it should have worked? Thanks!

Alien8

Re: MF-108M - Did I fry it?

Post by Alien8 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:53 am

If it's a little stubby red cable it's likely the one from Godlyke which are unreliable. You are probably ok, but best to wait for the correct psu.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:31 pm

If you plugged in a cable and sent the wrong polarity, you may have hosed your unit. There's no harm in waiting for your Moog PS to arrive and try plugging that in. If indeed you have messed anything up, it's nothing that a quick service trip to Moog can't take care of.

It's important to supply correct power to any piece of kit that you're working with. I have heard too many horror stories where friends of mine have 'let the magic smoke out' by hooking up things incorrectly.

Stephen

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:01 am

Most gear has diodes that prevent reversed power connections. You may have fried your power adaptor though. Does it still work with anything else?