Murf - Using FS-1 for tap tempo & pattern switching

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
stringstooshort

Murf - Using FS-1 for tap tempo & pattern switching

Post by stringstooshort » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:55 am

I have a Roland FS-1 foot switch with a TSR 1/4" connector that I assumed would work for tap tempo and pattern switching on my Murf. Alas! It does, eventually, work as a tap tempo, but not after 3 taps as specified in the manual ... more like after an unspecified and random number of taps and then only 50% of the time does it change the rate to the tempo I'm actually tapping. (Could be user error, but still.) When I plug the jack in half-way and try to use it for pattern switching, I can't get it to work at all.

Is there any reason why a non-Moog brand FS-1 switch shouldn't work? Do I really have to pay $40 for the Moog-brand FS-1? Sorry if this has been covered. I searched, but couldn't find an answer.

Alien8

Re: Murf - Using FS-1 for tap tempo & pattern switching

Post by Alien8 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Just checked the Roland website, and the version you have is a latched type, meaning that it won't work, or rather will produce tapped tempos at 50%.

Look for an "unlatched" or momentary switch. The Moog one is a normally closed momentary. You can get around the step adapter with a stereo Y cable (two female mono to one stereo male).

For the $40, you get what you need, you can look for cheaper - try your local keyboard shop or electronics store. You might find a plastic one for $10-$20.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

stringstooshort

Post by stringstooshort » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:10 pm

Perfect - thanks so much!

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:50 am

...was in the music store yesterday and saw an M-audio version that *may* work. It was $21.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.