A point in the right direction

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
bamorello

A point in the right direction

Post by bamorello » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:44 am

I’m a sax player and I’m trying to figure out if I want to get the MF102 or the MF107. I currently have the MF104M Super Delay, which is amazing, and I’m looking for other moogerfooger to pair with it to use for my electronic music project. Any advice would be awesome! I’ll post some samples of the sax going through the delay soon.

My current thoughts:

MF102 – Going LFO out to the time, feedback, mix or LFO amount. Running the carrier out to the FB insert on the delay. This may result in some crazy sounds.

MF107 – Going ENV out to the time, feedback, LFO Rate, or LFO amount. Running the Osc out to the FB insert. This may also result in sonic madness.

Alien8

Re: A point in the right direction

Post by Alien8 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Judging from the two you have indicated, the 107 gets you the most features that you seem to want. The 102 provides a slightly redundant LFO, but not totally. The 102 will also do tremolo and some other duties if you are interested.

The 107 will help create sonic mayhem both musical and non; you may want to try it first to understand and get a feel for the dynamic tenancies of the unit. Being a guitar player, I find that its most useful when a compressor runs in front.

You should also consider the Filter -Mf-101. For your application you may find it to be the most useful both sonically and from the CV realm. You can make it self oscillate like the other two, and it has an env out.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:07 pm

for acoustic sources, you need the 101 filter, it will be a lot more useful, especially with the 104. Also look into a CP251 to control them. You can add all kinds of cool choruses, vibratos, tremolos, etc. Things like the 102 and 107 are not going to react predictably with the tone of a sax, and while they may make cool effects, they will be difficult to control. With the 101 you will find that your sax's tone and the way you control the dynamics of it will interact very well. Also being able to take out the highs of the sax will create all kinds of cool timbres. One of the reasons I am not much of a sax fan is because of the kind of harsh uppers that it produces, which is a large part of most sax players' technique. But with the filter you can let loose and still control the uppers with the cutoff. I would actually love to hear that if you end up getting it.

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Thank you both for your input! It's much appreciated.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Great suggestions all around. In addition, I'd encourage you to look at the ClusterFlux. Especially if you want to stereoize your sound. You can get extremely subtle modulations going or rather extreme feedback oscillations. The + and - feedback controls give nice variations to the feedback. Plenty of LFO shapes plus MIDI control.

A simpler and equally nice unit is the 103 Phaser. It's actually my favorite at the moment and I love running two of them in series.

Stephen

bamorello

Post by bamorello » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:27 pm

I just picked up the MF101 and CP251 to go along with the MF104MSD. I like going mix out and delay out from the MF104 for the stereo effect. I've recorded a track that way. I'll post some recordings and my routings when everything arrives. Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback (no pun). It's been extremely helpful.