CP-251, 104M and?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
progfusion74

CP-251, 104M and?

Post by progfusion74 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Perhaps it's a sign of middle age, but after years of just using software and a bunch of controllers, I just ordered a Slim Phatty and can't seem to stay away from adding a bunch of Moogerfoogers. The 104M has already been ordered and am adding a CP-251. I'd like to add one more Moogerfooger to the mix and was considering the MIDI MuRF because it just looks cool. Any others I should consider as an alternative. Anything that adds motion and space is usually awesome. The MuRF looks super interesting, but I can't quite tell where it will fit in my chain. Should I use it to modulate my software synths or just part of the effects chain for the Slim Phatty?

Vsyevolod

Re: CP-251, 104M and?

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:23 pm

MuRF is an excellent choice, as is the Phasor and ClusterFlux for animating your sounds.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:18 am

You might want to think about routing your computer audio and Slim Phatty (audio and CV connections) through a patchbay, then mount your MoogerFoogers where you can easily reach the back panel I/O connections. This offers a LOT of flexibility in effects routing, and a bit of "old school" patching can actually be a lot of fun!!

I got my ideas from reading several other related threads on this forum.
For my setup, I mounted my MoogerFoogers, CP-251, and patchbay in one open tabletop rack, and my Slim Phatty's and Minitaur in another tabletop rack sitting next to it. All my audio and CV I/O connections for the synths are routed throught the patch bay, along with the auxiliary sends & returns on my audio mixer. I did NOT route my MoogerFooger I/O connections throught the patch bay (more work than I wanted to put into it!), but mounted them so that the back panel connections are fairly easy to access.

It took a while to get everything setup, but it was SO worth it -
I have a LOT of flexibility in the routings, and it can all be managed with just a few easily-swapped patch cables!!

BTW -
+1 on the Moog Analog Delays & MIDI MuRF !! 8)

Randy
Last edited by Stuka on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:24 am

progfusion74 wrote:Perhaps it's a sign of middle age, but after years of just using software and a bunch of controllers, I just ordered a Slim Phatty and can't seem to stay away from adding a bunch of Moogerfoogers.
Welcome to the forum, mate :)
Vsyevolod wrote:MuRF is an excellent choice, as is the Phasor and ClusterFlux for animating your sounds.
That.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:11 am

Eventually you will have most of them. :D :lol: :twisted: :wink:

Immediatly, if you are into stereo separation and better than the rest tone then ClusterFlux. This has quickly become my go to fooger that just makes thing right - great on dull tracks / digital stuff that needs some warming / natural tone added. Can be noisy at its extremes.

The MuRF is a great option too, more focused on animation than stereo separation. High learning curve but so worth it. You can get into phaser territory with it, or simply EQ.

Phaser is low key compared to these two, but still a great effect. Decent stereo sound, but missing the mix feature. Has an LFO out to put into the CP. Lowest cost.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

progfusion74

Post by progfusion74 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 am

Stuka wrote:You might want to think about routing your computer audio and Slim Phatty (audio and CV connections) through a patchbay, then mount your MoogerFoogers where you can easily reach the back panel I/O connections. This offers a LOT of flexibility in effects routing, and a bit of "old school" patching can actually be a lot of fun!!
That is along the lines of where I figured I would end up. Especially as I end up adding more gear. My biggest problem right now is space and time, but now that my toddler is growing up a little, hopefully there will be more time to start doing a proper refresh.
Stuka wrote:I got my ideas from reading several other related threads on this forum.
For my setup, I mounted my MoogerFoogers, CP-251, and patchbay in one open tabletop rack, and my Slim Phatty's and Minitaur in another tabletop rack sitting next to it. All my audio and CV I/O connections for the synths are routed throught the patch bay, along with the auxiliary sends & returns on my audio mixer. I did NOT route my MoogerFooger I/O connections throught the patch bay (more work than I wanted to put into it!), but mounted them so that the back panel connections are fairly easy to access.

I have a LOT of flexibility in the routings, and it can all be managed with just a few easily-swapped patch cables!!
What tabletop rack are you using? And are you using the Moogerfooger rackmount kit for both the Foogers and the CP-251 or does that go into a VX-351? I like twiddling knobs, so I was going to put the Phatty on my desk.
Stuka wrote:BTW -

Randy
The MuRF has been ordered. Figuring out the right signal path that I like is going to be fun.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:23 am

I know people usually think the 101 filter is just boring or standard, but along with the delay, and the cp-251, you can do endless things. The murf and cluster and even ring mod are awesome, but it's the filter that is the essence of the Moog sound and the musicality. Playing with CV, especially the envelope follower, and mixing it with other CV and clipping the CV is where I get a huge amount of creative variations. Then you can use the env follower to control and clip it's own amount VCA, resonance, and frequency, and crazy feedback and stuff happens. So don't overlook the 101, it's the real meat and potatoes IMO.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 am

progfusion74 wrote:
Stuka wrote:You might want to think about routing your computer audio and Slim Phatty (audio and CV connections) through a patchbay, then mount your MoogerFoogers where you can easily reach the back panel I/O connections. This offers a LOT of flexibility in effects routing, and a bit of "old school" patching can actually be a lot of fun!!
That is along the lines of where I figured I would end up. Especially as I end up adding more gear. My biggest problem right now is space and time, but now that my toddler is growing up a little, hopefully there will be more time to start doing a proper refresh.
Stuka wrote:I got my ideas from reading several other related threads on this forum.

What tabletop rack are you using? And are you using the Moogerfooger rackmount kit for both the Foogers and the CP-251 or does that go into a VX-351? I like twiddling knobs, so I was going to put the Phatty on my desk.
Stuka wrote:BTW -

Randy
The MuRF has been ordered. Figuring out the right signal path that I like is going to be fun.
I'm using the On Stage tabletop racks from Sweetwater.
Not as "clean" as using an enclosed rack, but they are inexpensive, very sturdy, MUCH easier to arrange & rearrange panels than enclosed racks, easy access for cable routing & rerouting, and with equipment like the Slim Phatty that tend to run a bit on the "warm" side, you don't have to worry about equipment overheating.

My CP-251 is mounted flush in the VX rack adapter, with one space currently open for "expansion".
My three Foogers are mounted in the MoogerFooger rack adapter.
I added some long machine screws, washers, and nuts to the mounting flange of the MoogerFooger adapterto angle it out a bit further for visibility and access to the connections.
Also, you'll probably want to leave at least 1U of rack space above the MoogerFoogers to give you room to work with patch cables.
All this and a 1U patch panel fit nicely into one of the On Stage stands!

The MIDI MuRF is a very cool effect, but takes a bit of tinkering to get the hang of what it can do.
Sometimes, some of the best effects only require very subtle control & filter adjustments.
Be sure to run the the hands-on examples in the manual, and also check out the video demo Moog posted of all the Foogers in action ~
It showcases some interesting patch settings for the Foogers (including the MuRF) that you might want to try out.

Be sure to check out the STEREO audio output of the MuRF if you can ~
The stereo animated phasing & filter efects from just this one box can be VERY cool! 8)

And you'll probably want go ahead and get an expression pedal (Moog, M-Audio, etc. have both worked great for me) while you're acquiring gear ~
Freeing up both hands to play & tweak knobs while your foot controls other parameters makes for some interesting possibilites!!

Please post your setup when you're "done" (not that we ever are :wink: )
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

progfusion74

Post by progfusion74 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:59 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:I know people usually think the 101 filter is just boring or standard, but along with the delay, and the cp-251, you can do endless things. The murf and cluster and even ring mod are awesome, but it's the filter that is the essence of the Moog sound and the musicality. Playing with CV, especially the envelope follower, and mixing it with other CV and clipping the CV is where I get a huge amount of creative variations. Then you can use the env follower to control and clip it's own amount VCA, resonance, and frequency, and crazy feedback and stuff happens. So don't overlook the 101, it's the real meat and potatoes IMO.
It's on my radar. But I wanted to start with that delay (I love good delays) and something different.

progfusion74

Post by progfusion74 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Stuka wrote: I'm using the On Stage tabletop racks from Sweetwater.
Not as "clean" as using an enclosed rack, but they are inexpensive, very sturdy, MUCH easier to arrange & rearrange panels than enclosed racks, easy access for cable routing & rerouting, and with equipment like the Slim Phatty that tend to run a bit on the "warm" side, you don't have to worry about equipment overheating.
That's the one I've been eying. Looks compact enough for my space.
Stuka wrote:The MIDI MuRF is a very cool effect, but takes a bit of tinkering to get the hang of what it can do.
Sometimes, some of the best effects only require very subtle control & filter adjustments.
Be sure to run the the hands-on examples in the manual, and also check out the video demo Moog posted of all the Foogers in action ~
It showcases some interesting patch settings for the Foogers (including the MuRF) that you might want to try out.
That video is what got me interested in the MuRF, and a couple others I saw on YouTube
Stuka wrote:And you'll probably want go ahead and get an expression pedal (Moog, M-Audio, etc. have both worked great for me) while you're acquiring gear ~
Freeing up both hands to play & tweak knobs while your foot controls other parameters makes for some interesting possibilites!!
I have an old Roland expression pedal that does CV. I might end up with multiple pedals :-). I also have a Qunexus which does CV, so should be fun.
Stuka wrote:Please post your setup when you're "done" (not that we ever are :wink: )
Certainly

vibrolucky

Post by vibrolucky » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:38 pm

My two cents...you should get the Clusterflux.

I also have a Moogerfooger addiction - After buying the Analog Delay, I bought the Clusterflux and the 12 stage Phaser. Bought them all for (intended) using on a Electric Guitar recording project. I'm using the Analog Delay and the Clusterflux almost exclusively with my Sub-Phatty (and occasionally my MicroKorg XL). The Phaser sounds fantastic of course with Guitar, but hasn't really 'Moved' me yet like the Clusterflux and the Analog Delay on the Synth.

I had a Murf a while back when they first came out (for Guitar only) and sold it because I am not into Midi that much - too difficult to reproduce the sounds consistantly.

I'm more of a knob tweaker anyway - so my vote is for the Clusterflux.

progfusion74

Post by progfusion74 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:50 am

Wanted to give this thread an update. The 104M is on backorder, so I am patiently waiting for it before building out my first "system". Since I am somewhat space constrained I am going to put the Slim Phatty, the three Moogerfoogers (yes in addition to the 104M and 105M, I also got a Clusterflux), and 2 CP-251s in the OnStage 12-space open rack. I also have two expression pedals. At some point, when I have more time and space and get the most out of this rig, I'll expand to the kind of rig Stuka was talking about earlier. Since I have no other outboard gear other than this rack.

Question: I haven't pulled the 2nd CP-251 out of the box. I figured with three Moogerfoogers, and a Phatty I could do some damage with two. Are others doing the same? Or maybe I should keep that one out of the rack and just get a minitaur (I am going to eventually)

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:58 am

Judging from what you have already, MIDI is a more powerful option for you from a control perspective. Unless you are set on analog control, I say ditch the second CP & get a good MIDI controller that unifies all of your super powers.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

progfusion74

Post by progfusion74 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Alien8 wrote:Judging from what you have already, MIDI is a more powerful option for you from a control perspective. Unless you are set on analog control, I say ditch the second CP & get a good MIDI controller that unifies all of your super powers.
That's a good observation. I have no shortage of controllers (before Moogerfoogers, I collected controllers) and was already planning to use my Quneo for controlling the foogers.

Thanks

progfusion74

Post by progfusion74 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:56 am

I got the 104M (finally). So this weekend, I racked up the Phatty and the Moogerfoogers. Decided not to rack up the CP-251 for now. I have my sights on a minitaur, which will fit into the remaining 3 rack spaces. Ended up moving the foogers down a rack space to get space for the cables up top. If I do get the Minitaur, will move the foogers up top so that they can be cabled unimpeded.

Here's a couple of pictures. I am sure the configurations will change.